The Forest Of Things You Want To Happen

It is snowing outside. There are children playing with sleds and skis. Mommy fastens the chrome buttons on little Johnny's fur coat and pats him on the head.

"Johnny, it's snowing today," she says, "that means we can't go to play in the park, because the swings will be slippery. Shall we go and have a little walk through the forest?"

Forest? Johnny had never been to a real forest before. He nods, and they put on their Wellingtons. Mommy takes an umbrella and they leave the house. Then they walk past Johnny's school, a hospital, a post office and a bus station, where Johnny sees a smiley lollipop lady waving her sign at him jubilantly. He waves back and laughs. Mommy points at a tabby cat, licking its paws underneath the bus stop screen.

"That's a kitten, Johnny. Say 'hello' to the kitten." Mommy smiles.

"Hello kitten," repeats little Johnny, waving.

They reach the outskirts of the forest, and mommy holds Johnny's hand. A warm glow radiates from her smile.

"This forest is magical, Johnny. It's not like other forests."

"Why, Mommy?"

"It's a forest which shows you what you want to happen, Johnny. Everything you see in here is what you want."

Johnny paused, and raised his eyebrows.

"Really?"

"Of course, honey."

Was this forest really... magical? Now, he really was beginning to anticipate the advance. He'd never encountered anything magical before, and he found it slightly difficult to believe. But he would believe. Because adults never lied.

"Mommy, I already know what I'm gonna see inside!"

"Then tell Mommy what you think you'll see."

"I'll see a lollipop, no, a thousand lollipops! I'll see a million-billion-million Mars bars and candy-floss. Everywhere! I also want marshmallows, and toffees of all different kinds!"

"Wow, Johnny. You're a greedy little boy." She ruffled his hair.

"It's not just that, Mommy. Not just candies; I'll see a huge, gigantic house! Oh, and I'll see a new bike, and a football, and lots and lots of money."

"Let's go in, shall we?"

"Yeah!"

They strolled hand in hand into the parting between two magnificent oak trees. Mommy retracts the umbrella and puts its reduced form back into her handbag, as the bare branches above them are enough to shelter them.

As they descend down the path between the rows of trees, the snow on the ground starts to thin. The trees begin to gain colour and life, and their leaves start to grow back. Soon, the snow once crunching beneath their feet disappears, revealing a layer of lush, green grass. Beautiful pink, yellow and red flowers spring up in the field all around them. The number of trees decreases as they advance further, and soon there are no trees left.

Johnny marvels at the sight, looking all around in bewilderment. Was he dreaming? Of course Mommy hadn't lied; adults never lie. This place is truly magical, like a dream. The forest is right – he really wishes he could live in this place forever. They walk, and the scenery around them changes once again.

This time, the field turns into a beautiful beach. The golden sand rustles lightly underneath their feet as they walk, and seagulls fly all around them, surrounding them. It is no longer cold; the sun glows above them, and Johnny sees a funfair, with all different types of rides. There is also an ice-cream van. And a funny clown. Johnny liked the field just now, but he likes this place even better. Again, the forest is correct – he definitely wants this place, in fact, he has an urge to live in this golden utopia for the rest of his life.