Chapter Twenty-Four - You and I

After breakfast is cleaned up and a lazy morning has turned into a lazy afternoon, Phil finds himself standing by the window of his flat. From here, he can clearly see the wall looming in the distance, cutting San Francisco off from the rest of the world. With the Golden Gate Bridge in pieces at the bottom of the strait and the Oakland Bay Bridge completely cut off, there is no way out. With Matthew's announcement on top of that to strike fear into the hearts of every citizen, the heroes don't stand a chance.

Phil rests his forehead against the cool glass, a long exhale escaping his lips. He doesn't even notice Dan come up behind him until a warm hand is being placed over his and the villain's chin rests on his shoulder.

"What're you thinking about?" Dan asks, voice and accent soft. That accent, the one that reminds him so much of home... his heart flutters and he laces his fingers with Dan's, indulging in the warmth his hand exudes.

"All the things I wanted to do with you before the wall was built. We could've walked along the shore or gone to a bookshop or any number of things, but we can't now. Not with the wall and the fear and all that," Phil replies.

Dan exhales, his brown eyes flickering for a moment. "We can still do things together. We can still watch movies and walk through a park at night. We just can't do things out in the open like we could earlier."

"Yeah, I guess. I just wish I could have taken you out on more actual dates."

The villain smiles and kisses his cheek. "It doesn't matter where we go or what we do as long as we're together. And besides, we're not exactly prime candidates for the 'Normal Couple of the Year' award. Our very existence is unconventional."

Phil laughs. "That's very true." Dan smiles and Phil turns around in order to hug him. "Have I ever told you that you remind me of home?"

The villain huffs a laugh. "Once or twice. I don't mind hearing it again."

Phil grins and traces a thumb down Dan's jaw, pressing a quick kiss to his lips. His blue eyes sparkle for a moment before flickering with sadness, his fingers ghosting over Dan's cheeks. The change in expression doesn't go unnoticed, making Dan's eyebrows furrow slightly.

"When do you have to go back?" Phil asks, his voice a mere whisper.

"A few hours, probably. Early evening," Dan replies.

Phil nods, and without a word of explanation he takes the villain's hand and leads him to the couch. He lies down and pulls Dan down with him, the villain speaking no words of protest against the treatment. As soon as he's settled, Phil runs his fingers through the shorter sides of Dan's hair and down his back, eyes locked on the villain. Dan looks back at him, brown eyes deep and chocolatey. Phil finds himself unable to look anywhere else, his heart fluttering and skipping and racing in his chest. He is absolutely and utterly in love with the man in front of him. There's no other word he can use to describe this feeling. Dan's wraps his arm around Phil's waist, gaze never straying, and smiles. Here on this couch in a quiet flat, the entire world falls away. Phil can forget about the wall and Curatrix and enemies and allies. He can forget about all of the negativity that threatens to consume him sometimes because Dan is right there with his soulful eyes and brilliant smile. Legs tangled between them, breathing the same air, Phil is completely content.

Dan's warm hand slips beneath Phil's shirt and trails up his back, fingers tracing the lines and grooves of muscle. The hero shivers involuntarily from the little trails of heat that he's positive Dan is leaving behind on purpose and cups the villain's face in his hand, watching him curiously.

"Have you told any of the other villains about us yet?" he asks, his voice much quieter than he intended.

Dan bites his lip, gaze flicking away from Phil for a moment before returning. "I can't bring myself to tell even Jack. I whispered it to him once while he was asleep, but that doesn't count. I just can't get myself to tell anyone. After so much was taken from me, this finally feels like I have something that's all my own, you know? That and the last time the boss found out someone was seeing a hero, that someone got beaten to a pulp."

Phil nods, a small shudder running through him when he remembers the entire situation with Mark and Jack. "I understand that completely. I haven't told the other heroes yet either, but it's for an entirely different reason. I don't want to get in trouble or put you in danger by telling the others."

Dan hums his agreement and smiles faintly. "This can be our little secret."

"Agreed."

Phil sticks out his pinky finger and Dan does the same, a smile growing on his face as they swear to their secret. When they let their hands fall again, Dan leans forward in order to press a quick kiss to Phil's lips that rapidly becomes a long, deep kiss that leaves them both out of breath. When they part, Dan presses closer against the hero and just breathes, indulging in the cuddles and physical affection that he so craves from Phil.

"I don't want to go," Dan whispers against Phil's shoulder. "I want to stay here."

"I wish you could stay here," the hero replies softly.

Dan exhales and hugs Phil a little bit tighter before letting him go. The private little world they had created for themselves is shattered as the villain shifts and gets up, heading down the hallway to grab his belongings. Phil watches him go, his chest hollow and aching, before getting up as well.

It's always the same scene when Dan has to leave. He emerges from the bedroom and heads for the entry, Phil trailing after him like a lost puppy. After he pulls his shoes on, he hugs Phil close and kisses him like there won't be a tomorrow.

Then, with a wave, he exits the house and leaves Phil standing in the entry alone.