Chapter 16

When I finally stop screaming and flailing, the tears come. The realisation sinks in that I’ll never, ever see my family again. I will be here on this earth, mad and deranged, all on my own, until I die. How is it fair that Katniss, who murdered my family, should keep her mother and sister, when all the people whose families tore apart are all alone? And then I realise.

“I never said goodbye.” I whisper.

I went into the arena, and I wasn’t allowed to say goodbye. How odd is it that I was the one who went into the arena, but it’s my family who died? I’ll miss my brothers, Nate and Finch, who told me to work as hard as I could, and then harder. I’ll miss my mother because even though she was harsh, and sharp-tongued, she taught me to be strong. But most of all, I’ll miss my father. He told me it was okay to be me. He taught me to be kind, generous and compassionate. He told me anything was possible. He told me he was proud of me.

And now, when I cry, tears streaming down my face and dripping onto my pillow, I can’t even hide because I’m strapped down, unable to move. But I’ve stopped struggling now. They should have just left me in the Capitol.

Two days later, and I’m a lot calmer. Nowadays, recovery from pain, physical or emotional, seems to take a lot longer than it used to. I’m allowed out of my restraints and a doctor with a clipboard comes in to talk to me.

“Peeta, you seemed quite upset.” She says.

She’s got ashy blonde hair and green eyes. She’s curvy and she looks kind. I immediately like her. I nod in answer to her statement.

“Why is that?” she asks.

“My family is gone.” I tell her. “And it’s all Katniss Everdeen’s fault.”

The doctor sits down beside me on my bed.

“Would you believe me if I told you that’s not true?”

I shake my head.

“Sure?”

“Positive.” I say stubbornly.

“Well, can you remember anything good about her?”

I let the question hang in the air, whilst I try and summon an answer. I think hard, my face screwed up in concentration.  

“She can hunt well.” I answer, finally.

“She can.” The doctor agrees.

“With a bow and arrows.” I add.

“That’s right.”

She smiles at me.

“Do you remember Finnick and Annie?” she asks me.

“Yes.”

“Well, they’re getting married.” She tells me.

“Great!” I say.

I’m honestly happy for them, because I know how much they love each other. But a part of me is sad, because I know I can’t go to the party.

“Would you like to go?” the doctor asks, seeming to read my thoughts.

I think about it briefly.

“No,” I answer. “I’d get mad. And I don’t want to get mad.”

The doctor nods understandingly.

“Okay, Peeta.”

I grin for the first time in weeks. And I feel a warm sense of excitement creep into my voice.

“But…could I…” I say excitedly, shyly.

“Yes?”

“Could I make the cake?” I blurt out.

“I think Finnick and Annie would like that very much.” The doctor beams.