Be Honest

Gabby POV

8 A.M. Shift was finally over. Thank God. I usually love being at the firehouse, but today I just couldn't shake the feeling that Brett was watching my every move. I know I'm just being paranoid, but still its nice to get out of here and go home. I pick up my pace as if something is slowly following me, waiting for me to pause.

"Where's the fire?" The familiar voice called from behind me.

"What are you talking about Matt?" I snapped, spinning around and locking eyes with him.

"I mean, you're walking pretty fast, so you must be going somewhere important." Matt tried to pretend like my snap didn't bother him, but I could see it in his eyes. 

"Oh. Gotcha." 

"Gabby are you okay? Be honest."

I honestly don't know how to respond to that

"Gabby?"

"Uh...yeah. All good here." I faked a smile and turned to walk back to the car, as Matt came up and put his arm over my shoulder.

*****

Matt POV

The drive home was a quite one. I couldn't help but keep looking to the passenger seat to see Gabby just staring out the window. I want to help her with whatever she's going through, but she won't tell me anything.

"Hey Gabs?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you wanna go out to lunch today?" Maybe then we could have an opportunity to talk.

"Sure." She looked over and smiled. 

We got home and Gabby went to take a shower, while I  sat down in front of the TV and turned it on. I couldn't stop thinking about Gabby. I really wish she would talk to me, but I don't want to push her. I feel like I'm losing her, and any second she is going to spin out of control.

*Buzz buzz*

I look down to see a text from... Sylvie Brett?

Hey Casey. Has Gabby talked to you yet?

I  quickly grabbed my phone and replied.

About?

I really can't say much, but I'm really worried about her. You should ask her about it.

Okay, will do.

Let me know if you need anything.

What is Gabby supposed to talk to me about? At least now I know I'm not going crazy. I hear the bathroom door open and footsteps walking out. I want to immediately jump up and ask her about it, but I know that would probably just make it worse.

*****

Gabby POV

I quietly stepped out of the shower and threw on jeans and a T-shirt. It felt so good to get to wash away that feeling of being watched. I took a deep breath and walked out to see Matt glued to his phone.

"Hey." I said. Matt jumped and quickly put his phone down.

"Hey..." He sounded unsure, as if he was trying to make up his mind about something.

"What are you doing?"

"Just texting Severide."

"Okay..."

"I guess I should go shower before we go to lunch, huh?" He said, standing up.

"Probably" I gave him a smile.

Matt  walked over to me and kissed me on the lips, before looking at me straight in the eyes and giving me that charming smirk of his. 

"Alright, go take a shower!" I had to laugh as I pushed him toward the bathroom. 

"I love you!" 

I swear for someone who can break your whole world, he can sure as hell make it way better. I sat down on the couch and began to watch whatever was on the TV.

Slowly, the noise starts to fade, and I begin drifting to sleep. I fight it for a second, but give in to the temptation.

Suddenly, I'm standing In front of a smoking building, and drowning in that familiar nothing. This time, I'm standing alone. I look up to see that same lifeless body, except, there's more people over there. The picture seems to be moving closer. I look down to see my feet are moving, but I can't feel them hitting the ground. Looking up again I can clearly see Boden, Brett, Severide, and Otis all leaning over the body. They're giving him chest compressions. The picture stops moving closer. I guess I stopped walking. The numbness continues to overwhelm me, to the point where I'm sure I'm going to pass out. I can hear people talking but it's all muffled and quiet.

"Gabby!"

Was that? No, it couldn't be. He's dying right in front of my eyes.

"Gabby!"

I took a couple steps closer. From here I can see the burns. I can see him be intubated, I can see the compressions. Then there's a hand on my shoulder.

"Gabby!"

The next second I'm back on my couch, jumping up in a cold sweat, with tears streaming down my face. I blink to see Matt right in front of me. His face has this expression I've never seen. Is it worry? Fear? The tears stop for a second as we lock eyes, but start again as I throw myself into his arms.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hey!

Sorry it took me so long to update! I meant to post this FOREVER ago and it never updated!

I really have no idea where this story is going to go! I'm just kinda writing as I go along! 

Hope you guys like it so far!

-AW-