Chapter 7

Since the inter-barangay basketball tournament was over, the Voyagers didn't have regular practices. But that didn't stop me from shooting hoops at our garage. I already felt deprived in school so I made it a point to practice my foot work, or shooting skills as soon as I got home.

"Mind if I join you?"

Though the ball I released still made it into the basket, L's voice startled and froze me in place while I tracked his every move.

He took my silence as a yes and proceeded to leave his backpack on the ledge of Mama's plant box. I almost gasped when one-by-one, he released the buttons of his polo, neatly folded it and placed it on top of his bag. Left with his undershirt and navy blue pants, he turned to me with his blinding smile.

It was the first time we played by ourselves. Though this wasn't in any of scenes my hopeless romantic mind had conjured, I think playing basketball with him would be better than going on a date or something. And I would consider this an achievement because trading baskets with him was good training to focus on the ring instead of stealing glances at him which could earn me turnovers.

Focus, I berated myself, dismissing a replay of the scenes at school--the hairy eyes, the sarcastic comments, the flat-out bullying--in my head. But it was easier said than done.

"Seven, watch out!"

Thank God for my reflexes that I stepped away from the ball that he passed to me. "I'm sorry. I was thinking of something." I shook my head out of the trance and went after the ball that had bounced near the gutter. For the record, I wasn't ogling at his toned arms okay? Or how his sweaty undershirt clung to his flat stomach (no abs there yet, but still no flabs).

L picked up his face towel and wiped his face with it. Before we both realized, thirty minutes had passed since we started this drill. "Eleventh graders must have it tough too, huh?" he mused.

"I guess," I said, half-heartedly spinning the ball on my forefinger. "I wish I have it easy like you though."

He gave me a look of mild disbelief as he used his hands to shake off the sweat from his hair. "You think I'm not stressed out?"

I wagged my head. For one, he still had time to play basketball with me in the middle of the week, on top of his otherwise hectic schedule. Balancing academics and extracurricular activities was already a feat only people like him could manage. While normal people like me by the end of the day were worn-out, clamoring for the weekend to come as soon as possible, or resorting to any activity to help vent out, L looked like he breezed by his daily routines.

"You'd be surprised to see my workload. STEM isn't really a walk in the park, y' know." As if to prove his point, he finished his tumbler of water then wiped his lips with the back of his hand. "I learned how to manage my time and compartmentalize my priorities."

As it seemed like our shooting drills was over, I sat on the edge of Mama's plant box, the ball tucked between my right elbow and hip. "Sounds like a tough thing to do."

"It takes practice. Lots of it," he sighed, joining me. "So, do you want me to tutor you on pre-calc or anything?"

I did not expect the sudden offer. But that scene was in the list of my 'what-a-date-with-L-would-look-like' in my head. "N-no, thanks," I mumbled, biting my lower lip to stop myself from blushing. Also, not to brag or anything, but I had always made sure my grades were okay. Papa told me before that I had to keep my grades above average if I intended to get into a university that had a women's basketball team. My grades wouldn't get me to the honor roll, but I was confident I'd meet the requirements for college if I kept this up. I was determined to do just that.