Chapter 21

Like I said, I had developed tolerance for North's ability to put me in embarrassing situations. Or maybe, the fight I had with Kuya and the long cold war I had with Lexi sapped all the energy from me to wage another fight with North.

I just merely passed his announcement as a joke. And exerted extra effort to dismiss a new set of unpleasant remarks from North's admirers and the likes of Brandon who never ran out of bad things to say about me. I found it a lot more exhausting to listen to negative comments.

"He's got a point." Lexi, to my utter horror, sided with North who grinned triumphantly at me.

"I can't believe you're taking his side," I muttered.

Jade's hand shot up to the air. "I think you should be the Team Captain instead."

"You're such a feminist," Zero snorted and received a smack to the head from his friend.

"Come to think of it, Felicity," North chimed in, still adamant to change my mind. "You're the only one who could complement me. I mean, height-wise. Just imagine it for one sec. How funny it would be when the muse they'd pick will only reach my shoulder."

Lexi and Zero must have imagined it exactly the way he pictured it because they nearly fell off their chair, laughing. Yes, before we knew it, Lexi, North and I started sharing lunch table with the grade eight pair.

"Tall guys and cute girls are the best. Haven't you heard of that?" I countered.

North shook his head. "That's a freakin' myth. Do you know how extremely challenging it is to kiss a small girl?"

Lexi doubled over laughing even louder as I choked on my saliva. "So, you've kissed a small girl, huh?"

"Like I said, challenging," North shrugged.

"Okay, put two and two together. That only means..." Jade narrowed her eyes at North. "You just want to kiss Ate Seven!" she gasped, sending Lexi and Zero into more fits of laughter.

"I don't think she's ready for that. But sure, that would be nice, too," he agreed, unapologetic. It was Lexi who punched his arm for his joke.

"How about a friendship bracelet?" I offered instead with a stiff smile. The slow grin that broke through his face was cu—uhm...something that most of the girls at school would have swooned at. But not me. Not me, I told the butterflies in my stomach that had started to flutter.

"I want one, too, Ate Seven!"

"If you're giving Jade one. Can I also pretty please have one?"

I broke my eye contact with North and grinned at the two. "I don't have anything with me. I'll make them tonight."

"It's been a while since I've been part of a rowdy group," Lexi mused, almost wistful. "Do you guys want to hang out at the mall this weekend?"

I didn't have the heart to burst the bubble of the eighth graders whose eyes shone with expectation. So I agreed. And after class, I bought cross-stitch strings to make three friendship bracelets.