chapter 14

DRAMA RECAPS

My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho: Episode 14

by girlfriday | September 24, 2010 | 238 Comments

Episode 13′s game-changer was a tough act to follow for sure, and I was a little worried that we’d sap all the dramatic tension out of the story once all the rules went out the window. Thankfully, the dramatic tension still abounds, but sadly, it means that the old rules just get replaced with new ones. As it turns out though, it doesn’t much matter what the macguffin is, since these characters, without fail, make me laugh out loud and clutch my heart as they race toward the finish line. Get ready for the angst, people. It’s a-comin’.

EPISODE 14 RECAP

After the epic tears-falling, fox-bead-exchanging kiss, they check on each other in relief, thinking they’ve beat the odds. Dae-woong smiles as he says they’re fine…and then slumps unconscious in Mi-ho’s arms.

Byung-soo helps rush him to the hospital, where he and Mi-ho watch helplessly as Dae-woong gets carted into the emergency room. Dong-joo the Lovejoy Killer shows up just to point out that her choice was a stupid one. Yeah, that’s not helping right now.

Mi-ho gets called to Dae-woong’s room, and she walks cautiously with each step. She sees Dae-woong lying there, almost dead, and decides she’s got to give the fox bead back. Dong-joo stops her, saying that it’s too late, and there’s nothing she can do. He holds her firmly by the hand.

Just then, Dae-woong stirs awake. The first thing he says? “Let go of that hand.” HA. Nothing like jealousy to bring a guy back from the brink of death.

He tells Dong-joo to let go of Mi-ho’s hand because he’s perfectly fine, and that fortune tellers have always told his grandfather that Dae-woong would live till 120. He figures he’s still got 50 good years left in the aftermath of the ki-halving. Heh.

Dong-joo walks away defeated for now, wondering to himself if his course has now been changed by one human being’s decision. “One person’s decision…for another person.” He thinks back to Dae-woong’s declaration at the airport and the choices they made for love, which are earth-shattering to Dong-joo’s worldview. I do adore the idea that their love is something that changes a thousand-year-old being’s view of love and sacrifice.

Mi-ho worries, but Dae-woong insists he’s fine. He checks on her, but the fox bead’s keeping her safe. She wonders if it’ll end up re-growing the four tails she’s lost. Dae-woong pulls her close (Swoon.) and says that he was cool with her being a gumiho, so he’s fine with an oh-miho (oh = five). God, how cute are you?

They worry that traveling to China will be hard on them, so they decide to use the hospital visit as an excuse to earn some time from Director Ban. Mi-ho pats her tummy, telling the fox bead to be safe in there…

Which is of course right when Grandpa, Aunt Min-sook, and Byung-soo arrive on the other side of the curtain. Grandpa demands to know what “bead” they’re talking about. Dae-woong freaks out at first, not knowing how to explain his way out of this one…until Grandpa finishes the sentence for him. “How can you not tell me about my great-grandchild?”

HAHAHAHA. The look on Dae-woong’s face goes from scared to WTF, as he realizes that Grandpa thinks they’re talking in cutesy terms about their unborn child. He tries to convince them that she’s not pregnant, but nobody believes him. When Grandpa insists they go get Mi-ho examined by a doctor right away to be sure, Dae-woong steps in front of her, and announces, “It’s true. She’s…carrying my bead.” Hahaha. Oh my god, this gag coming out of nowhere cracks me up.