Author Of The Week|doctorhorrible

May 18, 2014

Congratulations to doctorhorrible, also known as Casey, for being nominated by several fans as author of the week!

Although is has been here for almost exactly a year, Casey only has 141 followers and 318 votes on four novels, statistics that made me raise my eyebrows. Her novels, despite not being popular at all, are truly beautiful, Casey's style unique and mature. In both The Vagabond's Guide to Suburban Living and Styx and Stones, doctorhorrible uses detailed imagery and a humorous narration to bring the quirky and interesting characters to life.

The Vagabond's Guide to Suburban Living is a fairly new novel about a girl and her mother who travel the nation together, modern nomads who never seem to stay in one place for a long time, until Matisse's mother loses her job and she suddenly finds herself thrust into a suburban environment. From the very first page, the reader is intrigued by the strange and humorous characters, Matisse's uncle bemusing and the main character herself refreshing. The narration, done by Matisse, is witty and clear, her personality coming through her words and thoughts. This novel is a must read, a teen fiction gem.

Quote: "'Who are you?' Basil barks, wielding the dining chair he had been occupying before like a weapon, and jabbing the legs in our general direction. He's got a baby face, and is as skinny as a rail-one of those starving artists, perhaps- so I don't feel too threatened, although I do officially wish that I hadn't worn a dress today." (VGSL Prologue).

A Word of Thanks: I'd just like to say thank you for making this account! It is such a thoughtful idea! I've already discovered some books from the wonderful authors, textures and caseyxo, because of it. Really, it is so humbling to be a part of this and I am so honored. Also, a great big thanks to anyone who's read my books or will read my books; I hope you know that it means the world to me that you guys do! To my fans, I just want to say that each of you is so special, and it has been an absolute privilege getting to know you guys. Even if we don't talk much or at all, you should know that I consider each of you a friend, (wow, look at this sap) and you should feel free to drop a line any old time! In closing, I'd just like to extend a giant internet group hug to all of you.

Some Tips: As for tips, obviously I'm no expert, but I would just say, write something you're passionate about and it will always be worth your while! There might be times when you're blocked or overwhelmed, but that's okay. Don't worry if you are, because the little world you've created will be waiting for you exactly where you left it when the time comes, and if it never does, a new one will be just around the corner. Most importantly, never, ever be ashamed of something that you've poured your heart into. That's one of the most brave and BEAUTIFUL things a writer can do!

Once again, congratulate doctorhorrible! Please, please check out her novels and leave some helpful comments. Let me know what you think of Casey below, or better yet, contact her yourself!