Author of the Week|losangelesque

July 20, 2014

Congratulations to losangelesque for becoming the newest author of the week!

Although Lamia could be considered an on the rise or even popular author, the number of people who nominated her and her story The Misfortunes of Lolita for Of the Week goes to show that she deserves even more support and praise. By reading even just the summary of her novels, readers can see just how eloquent and sophistaced Lamia writes.

The Misfortunes of Lolita centers around Frank and Lolita. The latter sees her imperfections, her flaws, the things others scorn, and he can't hlep but fall in love with her, as complicated and twisted as it may be. The narrator's voice is so full of emotion, one second frustrated, the next in awe. Lamia easily depicts the dreary and bright scenes of the story, painting a novel that is an emotional gem.

Quote: "She was a sad story, told twice over... He wanted to tear the sadness away from her limbs." (MOL sneak peak)

A Word of Thanks: Where do I even start? First of all, thank you. Thank you for reading my (sometimes crappy) stories, thank you for tolerating my long-ass mass messages, thank you for following me, for supporting stories that are so close to my heart, for sending the sweetest words of encouragement.

Thank you to Anne, for this brilliant page. I never ever in my life thought that I'd receive messages from kind strangers saying that /I/ was inspiring. I never thought I'd get kind messages, period. Or any messages at all. Or comments or votes or follows. I don't even know how I got this far, but I'm so very grateful to everyone who ever stumbled upon my stories and clicked on "start reading". Being on this site and being surrounded by so much positivity has helped me grow infinitely as a person. It has given me the courage to take what used to be ideas scratched on paper and turn them into thousands of words. So, thank you, as inadequate as it is to say. Thank you for anchoring me.

Some Tips: (Okay, I have a bunch. So sit down, grab a chocolate chunk granola bar, and hear me out.)

1. I recommend firstly to read a lot of books that match the genre of writing you want to do. (for me that's Rainbow Rowell's or Lauren Oliver's books)

2. Ever heard of this one? Find your writing place. Just like Sherlock Holmes has his mind palace, find your /actual/ (okay, not actual) palace. A place where you feel inspired. It can be anywhere -- in your bedroom, your porch, outside in the park, anywhere at all. Somewhere scenic is always good.

3. Use a notebook and a nice gel pen to write from time to time. On those days where you can feel your face getting tan from that white light of your Macbook screen, take a break from typing.

4. If you're a beginner it's probably best to outline your plot/characters before going into a story. Start simple, and then add layers and complexity. For some people, it's easier to just start without any actual outline, but that can cause plot holes later on. The good thing is, you can always edit and improve.

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY, while you're taking inspiration from how other writers write, do not attempt to copy their style. there's a reason why it only works for them. (Rainbow Rowell, for example. I could try for years copying her style but it won't turn out as good as hers.) FIND YOUR OWN STYLE by trying a "test story" and seeing what works for you (i.e. first person vs. third person POV)

6. Your most successful work will probably be the one that you can personally relate to the most. So, write from your experiences and your deepest feelings (For me, that's of course, the Misfortunes of Lolita. It might not be on the highest scale of success, but to me, it's already my most valuable work.) Again, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, and good luck.

Some quick notes:

You have less than a week to vote for your favorite July Of the Month novels. Please participate, as the more, the merrier!

The past few authors have been pretty popular, yes, but remember to stay positive and support everyone. If you feel like some more undiscovered writers deserve more recogition, keep on sending in your reccomendations.

Lastly, it would be amazing if you all could give me some feedback using the form below to tell me what I need to improve on and what you like. Private message it please.

How can I make OfTheWeek better?

Is there anything more you want?

Do you believe Of The Month is a good project?

Any suggestions?