Chapter Twenty-Eight

It has been another few weeks, Emily's PTSD has been getting progressively worse but she's done a good job at hiding it. She's been going to Therapy, but it still isn't working. Finally, Lee Henry notices that something isn't right so he goes to see Kelly whilst Emily is at rehearsals for Joseph. He walks into the firehouse and up to the squad table where Kelly is reading the paper. 'Kelly?' Lee Henry gets Kelly's attention. Kelly turns to face him. 'Can I speak to you about Emily?'

'Sure.' Kelly nods. He then stands up and motions for Lee Henry to follow him to the bunk room. When they reach the bunk room, they walk into Kelly's quarters.

'I think Emily's PTSD is getting worse, instead of better. I don't think the therapy is working.' Lee Henry tells him.

'Where is she now?' Kelly asks.

'Rehearsals.' Lee Henry replies.

'Let's go.' Kelly tells him. 'With her history- we need to get to her.' They then walks out and back to the squad table. 'We're going for a ride.' Capp, Tony and Cruz all get up and get into the Squad truck.

'I'll meet you there.' Lee Henry tells Kelly. Kelly nods and they make their way to the studio where they are rehearsing.

~

When they pull up in front of the studios, Kelly tells the guys to wait whilst he walks into the studio with Lee Henry. They walk into the room and as soon as they walk in, the director sees them and walks over to them. 'Sorry, this is a closed rehearsal.' She notifies them.

'I'm looking for my daughter.' Kelly tells her. 'Emily Severide.'

'I sent her home. She said she wasn't feeling well, but the past couple of days, she's been distracted. Upset.' She says.

'Right, thanks.' Lee Henry smiles. They then walk out. 'I'm going to try and call her.' Le Henry says once they reach the truck.

Meanwhile, Gabby and Sylvie are called to a suicide attempt. When they pull up outside, the owner of the building rushes up to them.

'She jumped from the fourth floor balcony.' He informs them. 'She's alive but unconscious. CPD are here.'

'Do we have a name?' Sylvie asks as they walk through the crowds. Gabby, who is in front, turns around.

'Call Kelly.' Gabby tells her. 'It's Emily.' Sylvie looks around Gabby and sees Emily on the floor with a patrol officer holding her head. Sylvie nods, gets her phone out and calls Kelly.

~

'DR RHODES! INCOMING!' Maggie shouts as Gabby and Sylvie rush into the ED wheeling Emily. Connor rushes up to him whilst pulling his gloves on.

'What the hell happened?' Connor asks.

'Emily Severide, 19 years old. Jumped from the fourth floor of her apartment building. Pulse 80, BP 100 over 60, SATs 94, GCS 3. We intubated en route.' Gabby does the handover.

'Maggie?' Connor looks over at Maggie, waiting for a direction to a room.

'Trauma 2 is open!' Maggie says. Connor nods and helps Gabby and Sylvie wheel Emily into the trauma room. Gabby, Sylvie Connor and the nurses all grab a part of the back board.

'On my count.' Connor orders. 'One, two, three.' They all transfer Emily over to the bed. 'Has Kelly been called?'

'He's on his way in with Lee Henry.' Sylvie tells him. She then steps out of the room with Gabby and they watch on. Connor shines the pen torch in Emily's eyes.

'Pupils are equal and reactive.' Connor says. He then goes to check her reflexes. 'Reflexes are in tact.' After than he fells the abdomen for any internal bleeding. 'Belly is soft. Let's get a full body trauma CT, chest X-ray, initial cerebral blood flow study and a full blood work-up'

'CT are free now.' Maggie tells him. 'I'll Call Dr Abrams and tell him to be on standby.' As they are preparing Emily for transport, Kelly runs in with Lee Henry. They see Gabby and Sylvie standing out of the trauma room and rushes up to them. Kelly looks into the room and sees how fragile Emily looks.

'Oh my-' Kelly starts.

'They're ordering scans.' Sylvie tells him. 'Her pupils are equal and reactive and her reflexes are in tact. That's a good sign.'

'Is she-' Kelly starts, but then stops to compose himself. 'Is she in a coma?'  

'It's looking that way, yes.' Gabby nods. She then turns to Sylvie.

'I'm going to call Boden.' Gabby whispers to her. Sylvie nods and Gabby walks away. Connor and some nurses then wheel Emily out.

'We're taking her for a full body trauma CT.' Connor tells him. 'You're going to have to wait here.'

~

An hour goes by. Dr Abrams has been called following Emily's head CT. He walks into the treatment rom and sees Kelly, Sylvie and Lee Henry sitting next to the bed. 'Mr Severide.' Dr Abrams starts and Kelly stands. 'I've reviewed Emily's head CT. Emily has a large intracranial bleed and significant cranial swelling. We're going to insert an intracranial pressure bolt to monitor the swelling and then take her to surgery to drill some burr holes into her skull to reduce the bleeding, we're only doing it this way because the bleeding is localised, so it's the easier way. I do, however, need your consent.' He explains.

'Do whatever it is you have to do.' Kelly nods. Connor then rushes in.

'We need to take her in for surgery.' Connor says. 'Ruptured spleen, heavy internal bleeding.'

'We need to prioritise her brain.' Dr Abrams argues.

'She's bleeding out from the inside!' Connor shouts. 'She's gonna die if I don't open her up.'

'She's going to die if I don't remove the blood from her brain.' Dr Abrams says.

'Do the surgerys together.' April suggests, who had been preparing Emily for surgery. Connor and Dr Abrams look at each other. 'Just do it!'

'Let's go.' Dr Abrams nods. They then take Emily up to surgery, leaving Kelly wondering if she's make it.