Intermission

INTERMISSION

Sponsored by: AUDTech

All our products are dumber than you are! Guaranteed!*

*Disclaimer: This guarantee does not apply to anyone with physical or mental impairment, anyone under the age of thirty or over the age of fifty, and any non-human entities. Further, by contacting AUDTech, you warrant that you have an IQ equal to or higher than twelve points as measured by the IICSB.

###

“So what do you know?” asked Stanley Beams.

     “Well, according to the crew manifest, his name is William Epithander Gatley,” said the voice on the intercom. “He’s a member of the ship’s Rouge Squad, and the manifest says his enlistment date was three days ago.”

     “Interesting,” said Stanley. “Please pay special attention to Mr. Gatley and keep me updated on any new developments.”

     “Yes, sir.”

     Stanley turned off the intercom and stared at the pile of papers on his desk.

     The tall middle-aged man sitting in the almost comfortable chair ,on the other side of the desk from Stanley, folded his hands in his lap. “Sounds like he could be a problem. Do you want me to ensure he doesn’t leave the planet?”

     “Hmmm.” Stanley continued staring at the stack of papers. “Perhaps not permanently, but it may be best if he were removed from the board temporarily, as it were.” He touched the intercom control. “Susan, inform Captain Whorley aboard the Titan that he should bring Mister Gatley along when he comes to give me his report tomorrow afternoon.”

     “Yes, sir,” replied Susan.

     Stanley touched the control again and looked at the man sitting across the desk. “I trust you will see to it that Mister Gatley does not re-board the Titan.”

     The man nodded his head. “Of course.”

###

Admiral Emanuel Garza stared at his staff lieutenant. “What is the problem?”

     “Captain Whorley will be giving his report directly to the emperor, sir. Haslie won’t be able to stall him as planned.”

     Garza pursed his lips. “I see. When is he scheduled to report?”

     “1500C[35] tomorrow, sir.”

     “Can you put your plan in motion by then?”

     “Yes, sir. But, it would require initiating stage one as well.”

     “Damn. That man is such a nuisance.” Garza stared down at his hands for a moment. “Fine. Send a message to the others. Stage one begins at 1200C tomorrow.”

     “Yes, sir.” The lieutenant left the office at a brisk pace.

     Garza continued to stare at his hands. “Damn.”

  (If you liked this chapter, please vote for it so that others may more easily find it on WattPad.)

[35] Capitol Time.