Chapter 24

Ginger's Dad was back, more or less in a pillar of fire. After loudly reinstating the ban on snowboards, he accused her of jeopardizing not only the safety of hundreds of skiers, but the liability coverage for the resort: a matter of serious money. He'd also said some things about her being too goddamn much like her mother, that cut to the bone. So she was spending a lot of time at the yurt, or practicing at the Cogwill house in town.

Mary liked having her around, although it made things awkward for Slim, who wouldn't stay over with her there.

Since Ginger announced she was laying off alcohol and dope, things had been better. Abstinence made her edgy and twitchy in the evening, but the mornings were easier— nice to wake up without a throbbing head and a mouth that tasted like an incinerator, she said.

Gin didn't know about the stuff Mary had taken from the ranch: that was nagging at her. She's been worrying about what the Don might do when he realized the portfolio was gone. He might not notice the scraps and the glass, and think that Christy had taken the tape. Maybe he'd suspect her of taking the folder, too. Mary thought about warning her. But how to do that without tipping her off?

They were working on a song when Gris barked and looked up the slope. Then Spider glided into view, carving perfect turns through the close-set pines and spruces. He'd been cool about the boarder incursion, so Ginger invited him in and he propped his skis and poles and clunked over to a chair.

"Got a favor to ask," he said.

"Such as?"

"Christy left some of her things up at the Diamond X. Could we, like, borrow the keys and stuff?"

Ginger shot Mary a look: hush up. "What sort of things?" she asked.

"I dunno. Just some personal stuff."

Ginger played dumb. "When was she up there? Dad never mentioned it."

"Hey, really— I don't know the details. She just asked me to ask you. For the keys and the remote thingies for the alarms."

"They're over at the house. Dad's been, like, super touchy about the ranch. Told me to keep away, period. Can Christy make a list of her stuff and get the caretaker to bring it down?"

"Caretaker?"

"Yeah, that guy— what's his name? Stays at the Teton Ranch Camp and looks after a bunch of places."

"Lee Ryan? He's, like, gone. Moved to Steamboat last September."

"Weird! Dad never said a word. I just assumed—"

"Look, what if Christy, like, invites your Dad to have a drink or something? Can you jet over and find the keys?"

"I guess. Why can't she just ask him?"

"Look— I don't know all the background. But she can't. I know that."

"I guess— but it sounds pretty shaky."

"Look, I'm counting on you— I'll be in touch."

He stepped into his bindings and skated off, cutting along the trail to the edge of the trees.

Ginger came back in and shut the door. "What's up with the Spiderman?"

"I'll bet I know what Christy's after," Mary said. "'Member those videotapes?"

"Didn't she take those?"

"Maybe there are some missing. She was in a hurry. Maybe she needs to tidy up a bit more."

"No wonder she wants the Spiderman along."

"Isn't he, like, some kind of black belt?"

"I think so. All-around sports whiz. Great skier, not much upstairs."

Mary smirked. "How come people always say that? But they never say, like: Stephen Hawking— lousy skier! It's not fair."

Ginger's eyes narrowed. "Do you know something you're not telling me?"

"Huh? Why?"

"You just changed the subject. And you have this really sneaky expression. What about the tapes?"

"Mmmm. I did mention it to Slim— he's been looking around. Told me to keep it buttoned up tight. He thinks that the Don was the one that cut up that rich lady, and emptied her safe. And that the Sheriff's in on it, somehow."

"How come you didn't say— Oh! I get it. Can't trust Ginger. Loudmouth. Out of control. Fuck that!"

"Well, sorry. But Slim told me he could be in serious shit if I told anyone. Not just you."

"Look— if my Dad finds out any of this, we're dead. I mean that."

"He must know about most of it. The Don, at least. Maybe Christy."

"But he doesn't know— that we know. That we were up there."

Mary wrinkled her nose. "If he finds out, there might be— fireworks."