Epilogue

EPILOGUE

One morning after the Royal Oak had reached Tenerife, I awoke from a dream of the day Hector had called me to the Pearl's wheel and stood at my back as I steered her. Opening my eyes, I found him pressed against my back, holding me protectively as he slumbered.

Amidst the muted calls of sea birds and shouts of the crew, I became aware of strange voices in the captain's day room. Reluctantly, I slipped from Hector's embrace and, drawing the bed-clothes about myself, opened the door a few inches. I found myself staring in disbelief at several soldiers who were milling about the day room.

"Nina Houlton Bitter?" enquired a young lieutenant who appeared to be in charge, and who was trying not to be distracted by my dishevelled appearance.

"Yes," I answered softly.

He stood at attention. "I have the honour of being commanded by His Majesty to deliver you to his presence to fulfil your office and take up the King's errand."

So soon, I thought, with sinking spirits. We had only been a few weeks at sea and a week in Tenerife, where the Royal Oak was being fitted out for use as a pirate ship, and I was very dismayed to find my time with Hector cut so short.

"Give me a few moments," I whispered numbly. "I shall join you on deck presently." I indicated the larboard side, where I knew their shore boat must be waiting; but no one moved.

I shut the door, dressed quickly and silently, then turned to our bed. Hector was awake and watching me. "The King has summoned me," I told him. "I am to depart at once. And they called me by my maiden name, of course." I sat on the bed, disconsolate.

He pulled me to him. "Why should that trouble ye? We know what we are to each other," he replied. I took a moment to run my hands lightly over his skin, feeling the wiry hairs on his chest, committing to memory the motion of the ship, the scent of his skin, and the fiery lustfulness of the previous night's lovemaking. I had always thought that by the time the summons arrived, I would have composed something memorable to say to him, but all I could think of was how much I would miss him, and that my sole wish was to spend every night that remained to me in his arms.

"If anything should happen to prevent my return . . ." I tried to continue, but he stopped my mouth with a kiss and murmured, "See that ye hasten back t' me." He looked at me gravely and with something else approaching longing. In the depths of my heart, I felt a sharp stab of pain and doubt at the choice I had made.

"You know I shall," I replied. "I can hardly bear to leave." I sighed against his neck. "Angels of mercy, what I wouldn't give for one more morning with you," I whispered.

He glanced at me, and then abruptly pulled me down upon the bed, unfastening and disordering my clothing. I protested in a whisper. "They are standing close by in the day room, waiting for me."

"Then let 'em wait!" he answered, loudly enough to be overheard, as I laughed and yielded delightedly to his passion.

He declined to watch me board the shore boat, and so I made my way to the deck alone. As I prepared to descend the ladder to the boat, Pintel handed me a small packet tied with twine. "'E ain't one for farewell speeches," he said. I nodded, recalling Hector's words when I departed Tia Dalma's shack.

Once in the boat, I tore open the packet. Inside was a pendant made from a shark's tooth like the one he wore as an ear-ring. The tooth was encased in gold filigree set with small stones and a gold arrow. Along the arrow's shaft in tiny engraved letters, I could read Latin words: Suas alae eam duxerint ad domum, "Her own wings shall guide her home".

I kissed the pendant and fastened it around my neck. Let it be soon, I thought, as I turned to gaze out at the far horizon before me.

  ----------------------------------  

 Author's Note

First and foremost, a heartfelt "thank you" for sticking with Nina on this adventure! And if you hate to say goodbye - never fear! The adventure continues in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Spanish Prisoner, where nothing is what it seems, and a dangerous venture threatens to destroy Nina's happiness.

There is also a separate, complete story, How Many Miles to Babylon?, which covers the time between Parts 7 and 11 of The King's Messenger and tells what was occurring on the Black Pearl during that time from Barbossa's point of view.