17- Nice Compliments

"Robby is officially going trial. They've revoked all of their deals and they're setting up a court date," My dad informs me on Monday after I've come home from work.

"That's great," I mumble irritably. "Do we have to get him some dress clothes or something for the trial?"

"I assume so. I don't have very much information about it yet, I just know that he's definitely not taking a deal," He shrugs at me. Zero jumps up with his paws leaning on my hips as he tries to reach my face to greet me with kisses. I pat his head, running my fingers over his smooth fur.

"Keep me posted then, I'll go shopping for some nice clothes later," I say before I head into my room to get out of my work uniform. I still have to take Zero for a walk so I put on some jeans and my old boots. The cut on my leg has pretty much healed now so I can comfortably fit into some loose jeans now.

With my bag and Zero's toys, I hook him to his leash and we head out of the house. I had drawn so much yesterday at the preschool that I'm taking a break from it today so I just put my ear buds in my ears to listen to music and relax. I have to throw a ball or a Frisbee every so often for Zero but other than that, I'm enjoying the nice summer afternoon.

I'm trying not to think about Robby and the fact that he's just thrown away his life. I'd known that he wasn't going to take any of the deals that they'd offered him but hearing it finalized makes it even harder to swallow. I'm not sure what I'll do without my brother around and thinking about it takes the air from my lungs like somebody's just punched me in the chest.

The park is pretty empty today so I let Zero roam freely as long as I can still see him. There's a family down by the playground but he knows not to approach strangers. He's a big dog and some people are afraid, or at least skeptical, of big dogs so we'd trained him to keep his distance as much as possible from strangers. But if they want to pet him, he's very friendly.

I just keep an eye on him to make sure that he's staying away from the kids at the playground because even though he should know not to go over there, some of his training goes out the door when he smells lunch meat so if they start having a picnic or something, I'll have to act fast. Right now, they're just swinging so Zero is only concerned about the tennis ball in his mouth.

This dog is mine now, I suddenly realize. My dad sure as hell won't take care of him and with Robby in jail for twenty years, he won't ever see his dog again. Zero really loves Robby. He's a dog, he doesn't know about all of Robby's mistakes. He still looks at Robby like he's the best thing that's ever happened to this planet, and he always gets the most excited when Robby comes home because he missed him so much when he was away. I know that I joke about Zero liking me more than he likes Robby but everybody knows that Zero absolutely adores Robby more than anything.

I guess Zero and I have that in common—we'll love Robby no matter what. Despite his mistakes, his stupid decisions, his childish defenses, we will always be there for him. Unlike Zero though, I understand what Robby has done and what he's continuing to do. That makes me stupider than Zero, in a way, because I have enough information that should make me hate Robby, or at least not support him as much as I have. Zero doesn't understand any of that.

It's not just Robby either, I'm inexplicably loyal to everybody that I know. I'm loyal to my father because I haven't left this town even though I've always wanted to but I know that he wouldn't be able to handle being on his own. Even people that I don't really know that well, I'm loyal to them too just like a dog. Take Dex for example, I don't really know him. And yet, I've been loyal to him by keeping his secret from Amber.

Despite her being such a sweet, caring girl, I have kept my mouth shut about Dex's affair with Gabby. I'm not sure what he's ever done to deserve my silence but I'm starting to feel guilty every time that I'm around Amber. She's really nice and I'm not sure if we're friends or not but if we are, then I am a terrible friend.