Why doesn't anyone want to join the Greek Friendship Society?

Shortly after midterms, Halloween arrived. Frank somehow managed to convince the entire student body that dressing up for Halloween was the coolest thing ever, so I was left trying to figure out what to dress up as. After some consideration, I decided to dress up as a mummy, because after midterms, a mummy seemed like an appropriate representation of my inner self. I felt dead inside, but for some reason, I was still alive.

Patrick wasn't as into Halloween as some of my other friends, so he simply threw on a pair of devil's horns and handed out full-sized candy bars to anyone who bothered to stop by Room 27 in Flack Hall. Joe and Andy stopped by early in the day, dressed in even lazier costumes than Patrick, but we didn't get too many other people until later that night, so I decided to take a quick nap while Patrick took over manning the door.

About an hour later, I woke up to Kylo Ren whacking me in the face with a lightsaber.

"Can you please stop that?" I said as I opened my eyes again.

"I know what I must do," a familiar voice said as the lightsaber hit me a few more times. "I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Will you help me?"

"Laura, you are getting way too in character," Frank commented from the hallway.

"Sorry Frank," Laura said. "I just really like Star Wars."

"We all know, Laura," Frank said. "Ryan, you've got to come to the Aubergine tonight. I know you need sleep after finals, and to be honest, I probably do too, but this is going to worth it."

"It's Frank's twenty first birthday!" Gerard said.

"Oh, happy birthday, Frank," I said as I got out of bed and spotted Gerard and Frank standing just outside of my dorm room. They were both dressed up in matching skeleton costumes.

"Thanks," Frank said. "I'm kind of excited for tonight."

"Let's just say that we're going to get him wasted and alone," Gerard said.

"I don't know if that's necessary," Frank said. "I've been drinking illegally for years, and trust me, getting that drunk isn't fun at all. My twenty first birthday is just an arbitrary milestone."

"Come on, Frank," Gerard said. "We can at least have some fun. We'll go trick or treating on the way."

"Sounds great," Frank said.

The four of us ended up going trick or treating around campus, passing through the rest of Flack Hall, the Greek Friendship Society house, Orlando Hall, and Shadow Hall before heading off campus. Thanks to the generosity of my fellow college students, I arrived at the Aubergine with a full stomach and a cheerful disposition.

It seemed that the others at the Aubergine had gotten into the Halloween spirit as well. I spotted a variety of creative costumes, but there was something about Brendon's vampire costume that drew me in. "Hey Ryan," Brendon said when he saw me. "That's a pretty sweet costume."

"Thanks," I said. "I like yours too."

"Thank you," Brendon said with a slight swish of his cape. "I was going to wear vampire teeth, but I figured those would be hard to sing in. Besides, they'd distract from my beautiful smile." Brendon gave me a wide, goofy grin, and I couldn't help but agree with him.

"Don't flatter yourself, Brendon," Spencer said as he adjusted his werewolf costume.

"Spencer, you're awesome, but sometimes, you just need to shut up," Brendon said. "Ryan, are you ready to go?"