It Burns

Another empty, unimportant day passes with no meaning to my existence. Spending my life with a bright screen in front of me. I don't know why I bother complaining about it to myself, this is my choice. The clicks of the keyboard had once soothed me, but now, they remind me of this unstoppable metal chain I've hooked to myself. It hurts my eyes, but I can't stop. Nothing out there interests me. Just this screen. Only this screen. It has sucked me up into a dangerous addiction. An antidote and a drug. 

          How silly of me, to let this happen to myself. I want to change, but I no longer have the effort. Do I? Who knows. I'll never bother trying. Being stubborn is the reason why no one else has bothered helping me.

          I play games, scroll through the internet, check social media; anything to avoid going out there. I use it so much, that it overheats on my lap from time to time. I allow it to. I allow it to scar me with its burns. I allow it to remind me that this is my fault. I allow it to take over my life.

          I forget to eat. I forget to drink. And when I remember, I bring it right back to the screen. 

         My body aches from staying in bed. I have no energy to exercise. No energy to stretch. No energy to wake up from the nightmare I've set for myself.

...

          But one day...

                   one

                              faithful

                                                day

          the screen breaks

          the burns get colder

          and my eyes open

I stand up from my coffin and walk over to the forever closed window. I pull down on its strings, and it reveals to me the world I've missed. 

The world I've forgotten. 

The world I've neglected.

I'm sorry that I ever gave up.