A pirates life for me

Prologue:

The merchantmen was a flurry of activity as the crew raced to maximise the ship's speed so it could escape the pirate ship that had appeared on horizon. The governor of Port Royal gulped. He had taken this ship to England because he did not have an excuse to travel to there to see his mistress, but now that he saw the pirate ship he began to regret his rashness. The governor felt a profound sense of guilt; it was likely everyone on the ship would die because of him. The pirates would probably keep him alive; as governor he was worth a decent ransom. How did they find out that I was on the Regina? He asked himself. Of course, this pirate ship might just be attacking them for the cargo.

The pirate ship was gaining on them. The merchantmen was not fast, especially loaded it as it was. In fifteen minutes the pirate ship was right alongside them firing its cannons into their hull. The ship shook with the impact as the pirate ship rammed into theirs. The next seconds the pirates began to swing across from their boat, cutlasses in their mouths and the muzzles of their pistols firing. The governor tried to look out for the pirate captain. He was already on board, locked in a short-lasting combat with one of the merchants in which he easily had the upper hand.

"Captain, I'm the governor. Take me and leave the rest," he knelt at the man’s feet and looked up. He was incredibly surprised. The captain was a beautiful young woman with curly golden hair.

"Stop, everybody stop," roared the captain, in a voice with confirmed her gender. The fighting ceased.

"Port Royal, eh?" She said. "You hear that, men, we've captured ourselves the governor of Port Royal." A great cheer went up. She continued and smiled cruelly, "but that doesn't mean I'm letting this ship go."

The governor began to get up angrily, but then she hit him on the head with the hilt of her cutlass and he slumped into unconsciousness.

***

The governor woke up with the pirate captain bandaging his head.

"How can you be the captain?" he asked, "You're a woman."

"Too many of that sort of comment will make me forget you're a hostage and let the crew use you as cutlass practise," she replied.

"Why are you bandaging me up yourself?" He asked next.

"Our last proper surgeon died some months ago in a skirmish and so I'm the next best thing," she replied.

The governor looked around him. He was lying on a bunk in a large cabin, the walls of which were filled with bookcases. The titles were mostly in Latin and Greek and from what the governor could scratchily remember of the former the Aeneid, Juvenal's Satires, Livy's History and Cicero's pro Milone.

"Why is your cabin covered with Latin and Greek books?" He asked next, inferring that this, which looked like the ship's largest cabin, was indeed her cabin. He couldn't see what a pirate captain could want with a collection of classics in their original languages. None of the copies looked old enough to be very valuable.

"I need something to entertain me in the long dark nights when the rum has run out and the men are boring," she replied, "Stop asking me questions. I'll kick you out of that bunk for me to sleep in so make the most of it."

The governor regretted not asking more important questions, but took her advice and went to sleep. After all he wouldn't be going anywhere.