1941

Jackson and Charlene have been married happily for three years now. They've been friends since they were kids. I guess you could say that they're meant to be. They have a small puppy named Red which they've already considered as family and as their child; that family was content and happy.

All love stories would never be a happy-go-lucky one though. There's always obstacles and challenges. As for them, the one thing they've been avoiding has came.

The mail is here. Charlene got up to check them. There were bills and then there's the one that came from the military. Jackson already knew what was happening. It was war and the mail was already expected. "So, you gotta go then?", said Charlene while trying to hold back tears.

"I guess so...", Jack's voice is cracking and getting weaker at every second.
"What about us? Red would really miss you, you know?", Charlene's already wiping tears off her face. Jack cupped Charlene's face to make his wife stop crying because seeing her crying hurted him more.
"Look, how about I promise that I'd always write letters for you... and Red?" Jack chuckled. "...and maybe I can even call you when I can use a phone.", he continued. Red cluelessly walked towards them. He jumped slightly since he was very small.

"I'm gonna miss you little bud.", Jack said, petting the little dog whose wagging his tail adorably.
"Promise you'd write letters?", Charlene asked.
"Yeah, promise."

Their promises have been kept. They'd send each other letters three times a week. It of course wouldn't remove the worry that Charlene has but at least she knows that her love is alright.

It's been four months and the letters have still kept going. Then, the day came. For the whole week Charlene did not receive any letters. She would check on the mailbox but it's either empty or it just contained bills. Until one day, as usual she checked the mails but noticed something that caught her eye. It came from the military.

...We can't find him. He's gone MIA...

She regretted reading it. The letter was long but those were the only words that she paid attention to. She broke down crying, realizing the love of her life is now gone.

She heard a knock on the door. She quickly fixed herself and actually hoped it was Jack. But it wasn't. The person who knocked was Jack's sister, Meredith. "So, you heard?", Charlene asked quietly almost as if it was a whisper. "Yeah.", she replied, breaking down to tears. "It's going to be okay... right? I mean Jack's a fighter. He wouldn't give up that easily...", Charlene said while trying to put on a smile to reassure Meredith.

Five months have passed and there's still no news about Jack. Charlene's hope is slowly fading away, and it was Christmas. This is the first time she'd spend Christmas without Jack. "It used to so perfect and happy but why am I all alone now?", Charlene whispered. Red noticed that Charlene has been crying so he jumped beside her on the couch and just laid his head on her lap. "Right, of course I'm not alone. Thanks little buddy...", she said while petting Red who has already grown big. They were both playing, trying not to think too much about a Christmas without Jack.

Then, she heard a knock on the door. She quickly got up, expecting it was Meredith or  her friend but neither of the two was there. She opened the door and was shocked to see who it was.

"I can't let my Charlene spend Christmas alone can I?", asked Jack. Charlene scanned his whole body checking if it was real. "You're not dreaming, okay?", Jack chuckled. Charlene jumped towards Jack almost falling over but she didn't care. She finally got what she wished, for her love to come back. She put a kiss on his lips which she's been dreading to do for months now. "How did you come back?" asked Charlene. "There was a huge explosion and well it got me...", Jack said pointing at his limped leg. "But I guess it would take more than that to finish me off.", Jack smiled which Charlene returned back.

Red's tail was wagging uncontrollably, he was so happy Jack came back. They honestly weren't expecting Red to remember him but he did, and it was adorable.

"Wow! You've grown so much buddy... Now how about we go inside, it's freezing here.", Jack said. "Yeah. Oh, and next time you receive a letter... You are not going. I don't care if the military would hunt for us. You. Are. Not. Going.", Charlene said. Jack chuckled and kissed her forehead, "Yeah, okay love...".