Song #19: The Wheel

ANGUS: I bet you didn't know that the sun took a shine to water. She drinks a bit but floats it up to the sky. Now, what she takes from our lake will make her a storm cloud that rumbles and tumbles rain from up high, high, high... It's a wheel, Winnie, this journey of ours. Sun to lake to cloud that showers rain back to the lake below- and you'll ride that wheel wherever you go. Not a minute or moment's the same; the wheel keeps you guessing. And everything around you is along for the ride: the pond, the bullfrogs, the birch trees and hound dogs- plus people. All people ebb and flow with the tide, tide, tide... It's a wheel, Winnie, a ripple in water. Girl to wife to mother to daughter, like all your kinfolk come and gone. Can't stop rowing, growing, changing, and moving on. Once you drop an anchor, the boat gets stuck, and it would stay forever...

WINNIE: just floating on top.

+ANGUS: watching life pass it by, just floating on top.

ANGUS: show me how to climb back on the wheel. I'll be there, slick as a slingshot. Prepare to get off at the end, and share with someone my spot. You can't have living without dying, so you can't call this living, what we got. We just are, we just be, no before, no beyond... a rowboat anchored in the middle of a pond. Do you understand?

WINNIE: it's a wheel...

ANGUS: it's a wheel, Winnie...

BOTH: a ripple in water. Girl to wife to mother to daughter, like all your kinfolk come and gone.

WINNIE: it's a wheel...

ANGUS: it's a wheel, Winnie...

BOTH: a circle in motion. Can't stop rowing, growing, changing, then moving on... Can't stop rowing, growing, changing... then moving on.