Day One

ᎾN ᎢᎻᎬ FᏆᎡᏚᎢ ᎠᎪY ᎾF ᏟᎻᎡᏆᏚᎢᎷᎪᏚ ᎢᎻᏆᏚ ᎪᏌᎢᎻᎾᎡ ᏩᏆᏙᎬᏚ ᎢᎾ ᎢᎻᎬᎬ, Ꭺ ᏚᎢᎾᎡY ᎪᏴᎾᏌᎢ Ꭺ ᏟᎻᎡᏆᏚᎢᎷᎪᏚ ᎢᎡᎬᎬ

***

"Can't you turn the heat up any more?" Albert grumbled from the passenger seat of the car. He rubbed his hands together, trying to warm them up, then buried them in the pockets of his coat.

"It's warm enough," Race said, shaking his head.

"I'm freezing!"

"Not my fault you decided to take a dive in the snow," Race smirked. It was obvious that he was referring t Albert slipping on the sidewalk and into a drift of snow when Race and the others picked him up from his house.

Albert scowled and crossed his arms, his teeth chattering. Race grinned at him but reached over to turn the heat up anyway.

"Are we almost there?" Romeo whined from the backseat.

"I don't know,' Race shrugged.

Romeo looked to Specs hopefully.

"How am I supposed to know? I've never been there before!"

Romeo groaned and slouched down in his seat, the seat belt slipping right under his chin. He remained quiet for a minute before letting out another dramatic sigh as he crossed his arms across his chest. "I'm getting bored! Don't you have a radio or something?"

"You're not playing Christmas music!" Albert said. He threw his hand over the button for the radio when Romeo reached towards it.

"Why not? There's only three weeks left!"

"I've heard enough 'Merry Christmas', mistletoey, reindeer carols to last me the next five years," Albert complained.

"Why do you have to ruin everything all the time? Get in the Christmas spirit! Don't be such a Scrooge!" Romeo's eyes crinkled as he waited for Albert's response, fully knowing that his friend wouldn't appreciate the reference.

"Yeah, stop acting like a Grinch," Specs added.

"That's enough! I don't want to hear one more Christmas-related anything for the rest of the day!"

"That's going to be hard since we're buying a Christmas tree," Romeo laughed.

Albert opened his mouth to respond, but Race stopped him.

"You guys are distracting me! You're going to cause an accident. You've got two options. One, you shut up."

"I don't like that option, let's hear the other one," Romeo said quickly.

"Okay. Option two is you get out of my car."

"Are you serious?" Romeo's eyes widened as Race slowed down and began moving towards the side of the road. "I'll stop talking! I'm done! I promise I am. I'll be quiet now, no more talking for Romeo! My lips are zipped. See? I'm throwing away the key! I'll-"

Specs pushed his hand over Romeo's mouth. "Stop talking!"

"Thank you!" Race muttered.

Romeo turned to the window to distract himself. In all of their arguing they'd arrived at the Christmas tree farm and it appeared that Race hadn't noticed because he wasn't slowing down.

"You're going to miss it!"

"What?"

"Turn!" Romeo exclaimed. He lunged towards the front seat and grabbed the wheel, turning it as quickly as he could.