Day Five

ᎾN ᎢᎻᎬ FᏆFᎢᎻ ᎠᎪY ᎾF ᏟᎻᎡᏆᏚᎢᎷᎪᏚ Ꮖ'ᏞᏞ ᎷᎪKᎬ YᎾᏌ ᎪᏞᏞ ᎻᎪᏢᏢY, ᎻᎬNᎡY ᏩᎾᎬᏚ ᎻᎾᎷᎬ!

***

Henry pulled his coat tightly around him as he stumbled through the snow. He could see the building coming up, he was almost there. Just ten more yards and he'd be out of this awful wind...

The door slammed shut behind him as soon as he got into the entryway. He rushed up the stairs, excitement growing with every step that led him closer to his family.

When he got to his family's room he knocked on the door, rocking back and forth as he waited to be let in. His mother hadn't expected him to be coming back today, he had wanted to surprise her.

The door opened just a crack and an eye peered out at him. Then the door was flung open and he was hugging his sister Georgia.

"Henry! You came back for Christmas!"

"Of course I did," he said before setting her down.

"Come in, come in," Georgia nearly dragged him through the door. As soon as he was inside, the door was locked and he was forced into a chair.

"Clara! Grab a quilt! Henry's here and he's cold!"

Within seconds an old quilt was being wrapped around his shoulders and he had several other girls hanging onto him.

"Mama is making something special for dinner. You should stay if you ain't busy."

"I'll stay," Henry smiled.

"Good," Georgia replied. "I should tell her that your here."

"You guys were loud enough welcoming me, I'm sure she already knows," Henry laughed and pulled his Jennie into onto his knee.

The toddler played with the buttons on his coat as he talked with his other siblings and waited, somewhat impatiently, for his mom.

"What's in your bag, Henry?"

"Don't look in there Stella! You can't open it yet."

"Why not?" She complained.

Henry watched her pout for a minute before letting out a defeated sigh. "Fine, we'll open it now."

He slowly opened the bag he'd brought with him, the bag that contained the presents he'd been saving for all year. He knew his mother wouldn't be able to afford gifts for the children. He'd taken it upon himself to provide a present for each of them.

He'd gotten most of the gifts from Katherine, things she didn't want anymore. He'd bought them from her at much lower costs than he would've in a store. He'd insisted on paying a little bit even though she didn't want him to. He was still a bit embarrassed that Katherine had given Jack the money to sneak back into his pillowcase.

He didn't regret the presents though, especially as Georgia's eyes lit up at the new skirt and blouse. Katherine had outgrown them and said that she'd be proud to have Georgia wear them. Georgia seemed excited to wear them too, her fingers brushed gently over the fabric.

A book for Clara and two hair bows for Stella were also handed out, causing squeals and more hugs. After another bow for Jennie and shoes for Franklin(courtesy of Les), the kids were playing quietly while they waited for their mother to return from work.

At the sound of another knock on the door, Henry jumped to his feet. It was his mother, there was no one else it could be. When he answered the door his mom began to cry.

"Oh Henry! I'm so glad you're here!"

"Me too Mama. But I wouldn't miss it, this is my family!"

"What about the other boys you live with?" She mumbled into his shoulder.

"I see them everyday, I'm about tired of them," Henry joked. "Besides, you have to see your Mama on Christmas."

His mom grew more thrilled when she learned that he planned on staying the night. "I'll make somethin' good for breakfast too!" She'd said happily.

The children had proudly shown her their gifts and her smile grew, spreading from ear to ear.

"I got you somethin' too!" Henry grinned as he pulled a beautiful quilt out of the bottom of his bag. "I know that you're always cold. I figured I'd get you something nice and warm."

Henry had seen the blanket almost a year ago. The first time he'd set eyes on it he knew it would be perfect for his mother. It was soft and incredibly warm with a beautiful pattern. His fingers had traced the material as he tried to figure out a way to afford it.

It had taken a lot of time, and a lot of nights not out with the other boys, for him to save enough and he'd never been happier or more content with a decision.

"You shouldn't have!" She said. Her eyes watered as she held the blanket.

"But I wanted to," he chuckled.

"I don't have anything for you," his mom said sadly.

"I don't want anything. I've got everything I need."

"Henry, how'd I ever get as great a son as you?" She whispered.

Henry shrugged. "By bein' a great mom I guess."

"I love you Henry," she said with a watery smile.

"I love you too, Mama. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Henry."

***
Hey guys, sorry about falling behind on all of these. I've been feeling sick lately and looking at my phone or computer screen for too long left me feeling nauseous. I know Christmas is over, but these run up to a New Years celebration so it's not completely Christmas themed... Thanks for your patience!