Day Four

ᎾN ᎢᎻᎬ FᎾᏌᎡᎢᎻ ᎠᎪY ᎾF ᏟᎻᎡᏆᏚᎢᎷᎪᏚ ᏔᎻᏆᏞᎬ ᎻᎪᏙᏆNᏩ ᎷᏆᎠ-ᎠᎪY ᎷᎬᎪᏞ, ᎪᏞᏴᎬᎡᎢ ᏚᎪYᏚ ᎢᎻᎪᎢ ᏚᎪNᎢᎪ ᏆᏚN'Ꭲ ᎡᎬᎪᏞ

***

"My favorite thing about Christmas is Santa Claus!" Les beamed. "I've been awful good this year! I hope he brings me something!"

"I'm sure he will," Jack said, ruffling Les's hair.

"What do you want Jack?" Les asked.

"I don't know, I've got everything I need."

"Do you want anything Sniper?"

Sniper looked up from the club sandwich he was sharing with Tommy Boy. "Some new shooters would be nice I guess."

"I'd just like some new stockings," Mush commented. "Mine have got so many holes, I'm almost better off without them!"

"I'd like to be able to eat like this every day!" Henry sighed as he took another sip of coffee.

"Don't put so much thought into this, kid," Albert said. "Santa Claus ain't real."

"Yes he is!" Les argued. "Isn't he?"

Davey glared at Albert and nodded when Les looked at him. "Of course he is."

"Stop lyin' to him Dave. The kid's gonna have to grow up someday."

"If Santa Claus isn't real, then where does his present come from?"

"From your mother and father," Albert shrugged.

Race was listening with a frown and spoke up, annoyed with his friend. "Ain't nobody's father stupid enough to climb down a chimney. Except maybe mine, but he wasn't bringing me any presents."

"See?" Les said smugly. "No one else would climb down a chimney. That means Santa has to be real."

"They're lying to you so you don't feel bad," Albert warned.

"Albert's just bitter 'cause all he gets is coal," Crutchie grinned.

"Really? Maybe you should try being nicer," Les suggested innocently.

Albert groaned, dropping his head into his hands.

"Don't worry Albert. I'll help you and next year Santa might bring you a present!"

"That's real nice of you," Jack smiled. "I don't think it'll work though. Albert's pretty nasty."

"That's for sure," Specs laughed.

"I don't know why you guys are siding with him," Albert grumbled.

"Because he's right!"

"If you had a little Christmas spirit you'd understand," Mike said, patting Albert's shoulder.

"It's never too late to learn!" Ike added.

"That's a great idea!" Romeo exclaimed. "We'll teach you Christmas spirit! Then maybe you won't kill all the fun next year."

"I don't want no 'Christmas spirit'," Albert's nose wrinkled at the thought. Singing Christmas carols and giving gifts and being happy all the time didn't sound fun to him at all.

"You don't have a choice!" Jojo said brightly.

"Guys, let's leave Albert alone."

"I don't need help! I can handle this myself."

Jack cocked an eyebrow and shrugged. "Okay boys. You heard him. Teach him the Christmas spirit."

Romeo was leading the boys into the third verse of 'Joy to the World' when Albert finally gave in. He'd been hoping that Jacobi would break it up, but the old man had only hummed along.

"Stop! That's enough! I don't need to hear no more!"

"I don't know," Romeo said thoughtfully, rubbing his chin. "I still think you've got some work left to do."

"I agree," Race said. "I think we should do another verse!"

"What can I do to make you guys shut up?"

Race looked meaningfully towards Les. Albert's eyes widened and he shook his head.

"I'm not gonna do that."

"Okay," Romeo shrugged, turning back to the other boys. "He rules the world with truth and-"

"I'm going!" Albert exclaimed, standing up. He moved over to Les and stood next to him, awkwardly wringing his hands. "I'm s-sorry," he forced the word out, cringing as he said it.

"For what?"

"What I said earlier. 'Bout Santa Claus bein' made up. He's uh, he's real. You were right."

Les's face lit up. "I knew you'd come around! So what do you want him to bring you for Christmas?"

Albert groaned. Maybe he should've let the boys keep singing.