Chapter 3

Brent only stops when we get to a large tree, standing outside the entrance of a park.

"What are we five?" I try to sound sarcastic but I'm still out of breath and he notices. He only shoots me a small smile and grabs my hand. I let him too.

He drags me past trees and children, until we get off the crude tracks and onto soft earth. I  wonder where we're going out loud but he doesn't answer until we get to a large pond. He reaches inside his sweatshirt and it's only then I notice something bulging from it., he takes out a bag with something in it? Bread?

He hands me some crumbs and I want to tell him there's no pigeons around here but something keeps me from saying it, I see white figures in the distance. Brent gets very close to the edge and I follow close behind.

"Be careful, it's a lot more deep then it looks."

"I can't swim," I admit, " so if I fall, you're going to have to catch me."

"I'll always catch you." He gives me a cheeky grin and sits near the edge with me.

It takes a while but when the figures get closer, I realize that its two swans. They're larger than I expected and I want to go back but Brent assures me they're very nice.

"How do you know that?"

"I've been coming here since I was young."

"Oh..."

For a while we just sit there until Brent speaks up. " Did you know that when Swans mate, they mate for life."

"Hm, y'sure?" I scrunch my eye brows skeptically at him.

He grins, " Yup."

"That's romantic. I think you just scored some points, ladies man."

"That's good to know."

We sit they're feeding them until they leave and then we stay even longer.

"Brent?"

"Mhmm?"

"My butt's asleep."

He chuckles and stands up, briefly dusting himself off before helping me up.

"Way to ruin a good moment, Lola."

I send him one of his cheeky grins back, " I was unaware we were having a moment."

"Well, we were and you ruined it." I can hear the smile in his voice. 

He pulls me to his side and wraps a lanky arm around my shoulder, I almost mold into him. We walk back to the main road and then leave. I see an ice cream shop and jump up and down.

"Let's go in there."

"Alright."

When we get to the counter, I order a strawberry milkshake and he orders a chocolate one. We get a seat and I look around the diner, a retro inspired layout with red seats and red and white checkered floor -- It appeared like It could've been taken out of an old movie but still, I like it. It was the real deal, not like some places in New York that appeared to be aged.

"This is Danny's Corner."

"I love it." I sit down on the worn leather, with the edges tapes. This place definitely had personality, I'd give it that. I observe Brent across from me and giggle.

"You have a milk mustache."

"Do I look manly." He puts on a fake bravado voice and I laugh.

"Very. Its very very sexy."