Chapter 1: Family

It was been awhile I haven't seen my family, is it 5 years? Man, what a long hell of ride right there. 5 years of endurance, I always go easy on my studies. Straight A stars, my family could be proud of me. Huh... On those years, i didn't contact them at all because of certain reason. I would have suggest they be mad at me. I keep wondering how dad and mom are. Are they fine, healthy? I'm also imagining how is my little brother is? The last time I saw him was under my shoulder. He always clinging to me and said that I was always his favorite. Well we'll see how they react about me once I arrive home.

It was a long flight from Canada to Norway, she has to took a flight from Toronto to Olso that will be 7 hours 54 minutes,  that can count 1 hour plus using taxi to the countryside. Yes, she living in the countryside. Used to be a farm girl, now she doesn't care what she is right now.

Cold, right now it was snowing. So beautiful, can't lay off her eyes of it. The old man driving the taxi keep looking her from the mirror as if he recognize her. 

He starts to speak, "Um, pardon me, Missy... Could you be Road's daughter, Haze?"

"Ye.. yes, I am...," she surprised, "how do you know me?"

"Well, I'm your father's friend. I always see you and your brother when you are little. That was decades ago... And here you are becoming a woman, time sure are fast by."

"Yeah..."

"Your father told me that you study overboard. Is that true?"

"It's true. 5 years of education. I got all straight A stars..."

"*Whistle, smart girl aren't cha?"

Haze giggled softly. Little bit chat with the driver making her ease from all those stress. The countryside is sure so beautiful looking to the white snowy mountains surrounded by the pine trees, even the lake was solid as ice. There is no place wonderful than home.

The taxi finally arrived its destination. The driver asked a favor to send regards to her parents. Moment she step out from the taxi, all the tension coming back. So much for that ease chit-chat back there. What would her family impression of her? Anger? Despise?

She can't think of one. Her hands shiver not because of the cold but the situation. More tension when she was in front of her entrance door. Keep up together. It wasn't her fault. That situation was coincidence. She begins to knock the door. 

"Who is it!?"

She froze as she heard her mom's voice getting near to the door. Can feel her heartbeats running faster. Panic. Mom, I'm sorry.

The door swing open and her mother says, "May I help..."

Her surprised look was making Haze flinched. A sudden slapped to the face, not forceful but gently. Those tears flowing through her cheeks, Haze speechless. She cried and hugged her as if she was lost something  dearest to her. It was warm and soft, earning for mother's touch for those 5 years. Both of them fall to the ground, her inner mind begging for her mom to stop crying. Pain to watch but don't have the guts to speak. 

Her dad voice was echoing through the wall, asking his wife who that might be. Instead her little brother first to arrived, coming from the stairs.

"Mom, who is it? Is it...," he suddenly shock and shouts, "DAD! DAD! BIG SIS IS BACK!"

A sudden stomps coming from the kitchen seeing her dad was breathlessly from that run. As if he couldn't believe her daughter come back home. He ran again and hug both Haze and his wife. 

Seeing both of them this helpless, Haze couldn't help crying also. Then follow by her little brother, Haze feel so secure by warmth of her family. The word she managed to said was I'm Home.

[Dinner Time]

Here I am, sitting with them on the table with all those delicious food I always craving for. Mom and Dad food was so delicious. Homemade fresh vegetables are the best. I wouldn't mind for another trip. My father, Road is a farmer and my mother, Tifa is an animal expert. Furthermore, the smiles on their faces can't resist me. So welcome.

"How's your study my dear?" her mother asked.

"Perfectly fine. I got all straight A stars... "

Her little brother's shine of admiration, "Really? I knew it Big Sis is a genius!"

"Taking medical education sure are tough, my child. But good to hear that you want to achieved your goal. Well done, Haze,"  Road praised.

"Thanks- by the way, I see Ace is already grown up. He managed to pass my height."

"No! To me, Big Sis always taller than me!"

Road sighs, "His body is but his brain is not..."

"Hey, what's that suppose to mean, Dad!"

Laughter echoes the room, she really glad she can spend with them here.  

My dream is becoming a doctor that can save people lives. Easy for me to check my family condition health. To tell the truth, I didn't tell them what happened during my 5 years while I'm studying in Canada. The reason why I can't contact them those years, I have my reasons and I can't involve them. Telling them a lie that I lost my beg and phone. Pretending I'm also secretly taking part-time job because for my allowance didn't enough to back me up. Those nightmares were finally gone. I earned what I achieved now. I'm feeling blessed.

[Next morning]

Haze hanging out with Ace on the barn. The sound of cows and sheep really mesmerizing. Ace was quiet since they were left alone. Awkward, even a single conversation unspoken. She was wondering that is he feeling nothing but disappointment. Keep wondering that is he forcing himself in front of their parents pretending to be a good little brother.

He finally speak, "you know, Big Sis... Since you left home 5 years ago, I always pray that you would call us. I keep wondering what are you doing over there. Are you okay? Are you been eating well? Are you studying well?"

"Ace-"

"A final thought that came to my mind, are you abandoning us? I was feel betrayed and couldn't even look what's ahead anymore. I thought that when you left, you didn't need us anymore, no- what I mean is you didn't need me anymore. I was frustrated and almost fade up you being my favorite. But I can't lie to my heart, I can't hate you... "

Haze begin to tear up and shaking, "I'm sorry-"

"NO! You shouldn't be the one who should say sorry, I AM! I thought bad thinks about you. But... when I saw you yesterday stepping into house again, I can't stop shaking. I'm afraid I was dreaming. Once I reached you with my hands, I... I...."

Ace hugged his sister on her waist. His tears begin to piling up. Shaking in fear, making Haze speechless. 

"When I heard your stories, I realized you never betray me. You never did. In order to live, you sacrifice yourself to do your best not worry us. I always been admired you, everything about you. Always looked up to you as a good example. I'm the lowest of the worse."

Haze slapped both of his cheeks and shouts, "You idiot! Who do you think I am? I'm your Big Sister! Even you hate me, I will always loved you no matter what!"

"Big Sis...," he cried.

Haze smiled and hugged him tightly. 

Ace, you have grown so well. But still the same old Ace, a crybaby and always rely on me so much. To me, you are special. Our Family are special. I'm lucky to have you all. I hope my troubles won't come here. Praying something impossible, I have to stay low. When the time comes, I'll tell the truth.

"What are family for... We always have each other until the end," she smiled.