ii

g r o u n d ;

I sat alone in the midst of the Forbidden Forest, leaning on a tree as I stared at Drogon hunt.

Closing my eyes, I felt the crisp breeze whisper as I played with the damp moss I was sitting on.

I watched Drogon viciously tear apart a creature, the blood of the lifeless being splattering on the trees as his teeth crunched its bones.

Entranced by Drogon, I watched him get closer to me, a piece of meat dangling from his mouth. He placed it on my lap, staining my robe with the crimson substance.

Shaking my head, I offered it back, which he took gladly. I carefully caressed his scales, as a small smirk appeared on my face.

"I hereby announce the Triwizard Tournament will be continued. The second task will be resumed later, despite the previous matters, consequences will be faced–"

As Dumbledore spoke, I entered the Great Hall.

My Slytherin robe trailed behind me as I walked inside, receiving everyone's stares. Dumbledore nodded at me as my eyes penetrated his faded ones. I dared not look at any one else in fear I'd meet him, and kept my movements stiff and sharp, making sure everyone knew I wasn't in the mood for messing around.

At the end of the hall, I saw Cedric's eyes widen along with Fleur's and Viktor's, their faces pale and worried as soon as they saw me. The Hufflepuff boy motioned me to sit with them, and I complied.

"Bloddy Hell, (Y/n)... We thought you were–"

"Dead?" I sniggered bitterly, staring down at the plate before me.

"You were missing for months," Viktor whispered with his strong accent, whilst Dumbledore continued his speech, "we thought the Triwizard Tournament was going to get cancelled this year."

"Where did you go, (Y/n)?" Asked Cedric, as he placed his hand on top of mine, making me snatch it away, "I- we were worried," he genuinely said.

I internally rolled my eyes at his statement, and saw how Rita Skeeter and new members of the Ministry couldn't sit tight, excited to ask questions.

"When will the Second Task start?" I avoided his piercing eyes, as I ate my food.

"This afternoon," Fleur smirked.

I tied the bathrobe securely around my waist, making my way up to the stage where the rest of the champions were being interviewed and photographed.

The champions were to arrive at the lake 45 minutes prior before the challenge began, allowing the press to do its job, and that they did:

As I emerged, all the cameras flashed at once, blinding me. Left, right, the lights never ceased, until I saw a sinister face appear from all the lights, making me stumble backwards in sudden fear.

Their voices deafened me, putting words in my mouth as they scribbled false statements.

"Fourth contestant of the Triwizard Tournament disappears in fear of completing the Second Task–"

An arm wrapped around my torso, shielding me from the press. I didn't fight it, instead, I let them protect me until their voices were distant echoes.

Looking up, I saw Cedric's face looking down at me, concerned. We were in a small room underneath the bleachers, the wooden walls covered in unknown artifacts and Hagrid with a picture of a mermaid hung loosely, threatening to fall. The afternoon rays of the sun slipped through the cracks, illuminating Cedric's features.

"You shouldn't be doing this," he whispered, still holding me in his embrace. "You just arrived– when? Yesterday?"

"I've got a plan," our eyes met, a hood of worry covering his.

"(Y/n), we're facing Merpeople... How are you going to be able to hold your breath for that long? Do you even know how to swim– or what the task is about?"

I breathed deeply, covering my face as I panicked.

"I- I have a plan, okay?" I assured, sitting down on the floor. Hugging my knees, I started to rethink it.

"It's at least an hour underwater," he murmured, sitting down next to me.

The task was starting in twenty minutes, the chatter and steps of the people could be heard above us.

"(Y/n)... You know you can tell me..."

"I..."

The sound of Dumbledore's words interrupted us. Nodding at each other, we left the place, the exit leading us directly to the bleachers. Photographers went crazy as soon as they saw us leaving together:

"The Dragon Girl is now after the Hufflepuff sweetheart, Cedric Diggory?"

"Love triangle between Targaryen, Malfoy, and Diggory."

Malfoy? My heart stopped as I scanned the place, seeing no sign of the platinum haired boy.

"Ignore them, love."

I sighed in pure relief, as a small smug smile appeared on my face. I held Cedric's arm as we made our way to the stage, smiling victorious.

"It's the bubble-head charm, by the way."

I rolled my eyes, playfully, "I told you, I have a plan."

Viktor, Fleur, me, and Cedric stood in the centre of the stage, the clock indicating 11:54. I couldn't care less if I made it alive or not, but the fact that Malfoy wasn't here, already made me feel like a victor.

I watched Fleur and Cedric cast the charm, remembering it just in case, as Viktor stood in place stiffly.

Dumbledore's speech sounded distance, as I focused in the black vastness before me, praying to the Gods my plan would work.

I took my robe off and placed it on a chair, a black bathing suit made of black and red scales covered my body.

I smiled at my friends, Harry and Ron waving dragon banners whilst the Twins screamed my name like maniacs. I mouthed Hermione's name towards Harry, but he just shrugged.

Dumbledore finished his speech, and the horn went off, indicating the start of the Second Task.