005

CHAPTER 5
THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

CHAPTER 5THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

_____

Finally, things felt like they were coming along. Even after the supposed death of her brother, meeting with Nancy felt right. It barely felt real, but there she was, willing to talk to her. To Laurel Byers. Those kinds of things only happened in Laurel's head when she'd day dream at the bookstore, but somehow it was real.

Laurel sighed, pushing herself out of her thoughts, as well as out of the car. Jonathan had picked her up after the funeral meeting ended to get back home. As they opened the door, Jonathan stopped midway. Closing the door, Laurel's face contorted in confusion till she turned and met eyes with a man that made her stomach clench in anger and fear.

"Hey kids," their father greeted. It was so unexpected, but expected at the same time, that the twins stood awkwardly by the doorway. Of course Laurel knew if there was a funeral, her Dad would have to be dragged down to Hawkins. The death of his own child would be the only thing that would even make him think about coming back home.

"What's going on?" Jonathan said, as Laurel stood beside him, unable to speak for herself.

"Your dad's, uh...gonna stay here tonight. O-on the couch," Joyce explained, sitting beside him on said couch.

"Yeah, I'm here as long as you need me, okay? How you guys holdin' up?"

Jonathan clearly avoided his question, marching forward to inspect the covered up hole in the wall. Laurel barely even had time to notice the large hole or how much of a disaster their home looked, with all of her mom's christmas lights hanging from every inch of the ceiling. She was distracted by the elephant in the room. More specifically, the biggest elephant in the room.

Until her brother started talking.

"What happened?" Jonathan asked, looking behind the tarp.

"Don't worry about that..."

Laurel soon began to pay attention, realizing what this hole could mean. "Mom, the thing you saw before, did it come back?" She asked, stepping towards Joyce.

"Laurel, that's enough," Lonnie, her father, said sternly while turning his head to look at his daughter.

The twins shared a quick glance, a thing they did a lot, as if they had a silent connection. She had explained what she saw in the photograph to Jonathan, but even if he didn't quite believe or understand her, he understood what the silence told him; he knew what Laurel wanted.

"Can we talk...alone?" Jonathan said to his father. Reluctantly, Lonnie followed Jonathan into his bedroom, slamming the door shut, leaving Joyce and Laurel alone. Jonathan was better at speaking to Lonnie anyways.