010

CHAPTER 2
TRICK OR TREAT, FREAK

CHAPTER 2TRICK OR TREAT, FREAK

_____

   Halloween used to be Laurel's favourite holiday, until the Halloween of 7th grade when she came to school dressed as a Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz and she was the only one in costume. Many stares, many memories, all bad. Never again. Now her favourite was Christmas. But today was Halloween, and for the first time she wasn't cringing at her past mistakes.

"I just don't get what she sees in him," Jonathan said from beside her as he drove both his siblings to Will's friend's house.

"What?" Will said from the back, almost in as much as a daze as Laurel was.

"Bob," Jonathan replied, glancing at both siblings for their opinions. Their mother had a new boyfriend, Bob. Laurel was probably the only one out of the three who felt closest to him, somehow he came at a time where she needed someone that didn't know her, someone she could confide in without them asking questions. He was there when her father wasn't, and that's all that mattered. Also he was so good to Joyce she couldn't help but enjoy his presence.

"Well, I like him, and Mom really likes him too, Laurel replied, picking at her fingernails. She could practically feel her therapist's stare piercing through her mind. She thought she might have appeared in thin air if she even placed them near her mouth, so she quickly tucked her hands under her thighs.

"At least he doesn't treat me different," Will stated, glancing out the window. "I can't even go trick or treating by myself, it's lame."

Jonathan scoffed. "You think we're lame?"

Yes, they definitely were, but maybe not to their little brother.

"No, but...it's not like Nancy's coming over to watch over Mike, y'know."

Jonathan could practically feel Laurel sulk into her seat at the mention of her name.

Not soon after, they appeared in front of Mike's house, where both siblings were told to watch over them while trick or treating. Well, at least one of them had to, but since both didn't wanna do much on Halloween they decided it'd be more enjoyable going together.

As Will began leaving the car, Jonathan and Laurel gave each other a knowing look, before she nodded in agreement. Twins had a way of knowing each other's thoughts sometimes. Well, at least the Byers twins. Jonathan then turned around in his seat. "Hey listen."

"Yeah?"

"If we let you go on your own, you promise to stay in the neighbourhood?"

Will's frown immediately stretched into a grin. "Yeah, totally!"

"And you'll be back at Mike's by 9?" Laurel asked, turning behind her with raised eyebrows.

"9...30?"