Chapter 19

Minutes later, Mitch and Avi arrived in front of the intensive care ward, Mitch was happy to see a nurse just coming through the door. 

"Oh, good morning. Did you ring the bell?" He greeted the two men.

Avi shook his head. "No we didn't, you were faster." 

"Ah okay" the nurse replied. "How can I help you, then? I mean you do wish to visit someone, don't you?"

"Yeah" Mitch spoke up. "We're Avi Kaplan and Mitch Grassi, Dr John told us that we could see our friend Scott Hoying? Apparently he woke up some time ago?"

"Aaah yes, he did. Do you have your ID with you? I have to take a look, sorry, I have to ask you..."

Mitch nodded and fished his wallet just as Avi did. They both showed their IDs and the nurse smiled and nodded. "That's perfect" He opened the door to the ward and led them inside. "This is his room. Just go inside, be with him, talk to him if he's awake. If you need anything, just ring the bell, someone will be with you shortly. Alright?"

"Yes, thank you very much" Avi replied quickly, eager to finally be with Scott again.

The nurse smiled and turned away to resume with his work while Mitch knocked softly before he opened the door to Scott's room. "Babe..." he whispered when he saw Scott lying in his bed. He walked up to it and sat down next to him on a chair, motioning Avi to come closer as well.

The bearded man needed a moment to take in the situation, before he sat down next to Mitch, still eyeing the tall blonde. It looked as if he was asleep, yet, he stirred when Mitch took his hand. 

"Love..." Avi said softly when he looked into the clear blue eyes. 

"Avi... Mitch..." Scott whispered. "You're here."

"Of course we are, Scotty" Mitch answered. "We love you after all." 

"Love you too..." Scott whispered back. "Sorry for shocking you like this..." 

"Don't be sorry. All that matters is that you're alive and more or less well" Avi explained patiently. "You didn't do anything wrong. You just were at the wrong place at the wrong time." 

"Mmhm..." Scott hummed. "But still... this sucks." 

"That's true" Mitch added. "Yet, I am happy to see you awake. How are you feeling?"

"Mmhm... I have a headache. It's faint, probably because of whatever is flowing through the IV and I'm completely tired out" Scott explained. "Breathing is a little hard, but Doc said that this will be better as soon as my ribs heal. Oh and I'm thirsty. Can one of you help me? There is water on the table." 

Avi immediately saw the cup on the other side of the bed. "Of course" he said and got up to get the cup. It was fitted with a straw so Scott could drink easily. 

Leaning in closely, he held the cup out so Scott could take reach the straw and waited when he drank. "Thanks" Scott said once he was finished.

"You're welcome, Love" Avi replied as he sat the cup back down and returned to his chair.

Scott smiled at his boyfriends.

"You look tired" Mitch stated.

Scott nodded. "Mmhm..." he hummed. "But you're here and I want to be with you!"

"Oh Sweetheart" Avi said softly. "You should sleep, though, if you're that tired."

"He's right, Love. You should go to sleep. Avi and I will stay and once you wake up again, we'll be here with you" Mitch added.