Chapter 2 - New Friendship?

A/N: I like BTS. Many references will be made.

"Skylar! You're going to be late for school!" (A/N: Cliche beginning, I know. 😂)

I groan, rolling over in bed. I have a massive headache, thanks to my recurring nightmare making me fall out of bed and hit my face on the hardwood floor. I pull the storm grey covers up higher over my face, burying my head in the navy blue pillows. My cat, Barry, looks at me indignantly, having been moved from the spot he was laying when I pulled the comforter up.

I suddenly feel a chill as my mom comes in, pulling the comforter off of me. Barry hisses angrily as it falls over him, rushing out of the room after shooting a glare at me, like it was my fault.

"Up," my mom says, before leaving the room again.

I sigh and sit up, my bare feet growing cold as I set them on the chilly floor. The grey pre-dawn light streams through my blind covered windows. I put my head in my hands and rub my eyes, then stand up and move towards the bathroom outside my room. I look up at the corner of my room before I go, where a small Daddy long-leg has made a web.

"Hey, Tom," I say, smiling at the spider as I walk out. So I name it because it's been there for so long. Judge me.

When I look in the mirror, my dirty blonde hair is in a frizzy, tangled mess, like I've been standing in a wind tunnel. My blue eyes are red and bloodshot, and a blue bruise is visible above my left eye. My scar, running over my right eye, looks like it always does, so that's a good sign.

   I try to run a brush through my hair, but stop after a few moments, realising it is pointless. I just tie it back in a messy bun before walking down the stairs. My brother Mark is sitting at the table, a cane next to him and his service dog Jack resting on the tiled floor beside his chair. He wags his tail when he sees me, and I stroke the soft fur above his nose before sitting down and pouring a bowl of cereal for myself.

   "Hi, Mark says, a small smile on his face. His milky green eyes stare unseeingly ahead.

   "Morning," I reply sleepily. I run my hand over my face again, sighing.

   "Bad night?"

   "Yeah, that stupid nightmare again."

   "Spooky," Mark says, smirking in that annoying way of his. "Like it's real."

"You know full well it was real," I say. "You felt my scar."

"Oh," Mark says, his smile fading. "I thought you meant the one about the 8th grade Halloween party."

"No, no," I laugh. "That was really stupid. This one is slightly less stupid."

Mark laughs too. "Still afraid of Cameron?"

"Oh shut up. He did a really good Pennywise impression."

"Still can't see him, still not scary."

I lean over and push him a bit, in a playful way. "You know, I'm glad you weren't able to see that. That was really embarrassing on my part."

"I bet it was." Mark smiles again. "So, you see anything weird recently?"

I know he's asking seriously. He's literally the only person in the world that gets that what I see is real, not just a figment of my imagination or a childish prank.

"Every day," I sigh. "Last night, it was that bat and the sea monster, and I've already seen a cow on the front lawn today."

That was true. I'd seen our front lawn as I passed the stairwell, and there was a big black and white dairy cow casually eating the grass. Mark laughs at this.