Epilogue

He crouched before the body of the late Serafina Wells, fury and disappointment settling in his stomach like the sea after a storm. It had been a good plan. And it might've succeeded, too, if only she hadn't gotten carried away in the fun. He blew out a frustrated breath. He should've known better than to entrust her with something so important. Now, like all the times before, he was left to clean up her mess.

Standing, he wiped his hands on his black dress pants. Morgenstern still lived. The boy had even gained himself some friends. He frowned. They were a bit more bothersome than they'd calculated for. Maybe they needed to be eliminated, as well. Thoughtful now, he walked away from the battle scene. Their backup plan would have work. It was risky though, much more so than the first. The whole procedure was delicate, everything hung by a thread.

He was smarter than Serafina, though. Stronger. Better. He smiled to himself. They would never see him coming.

Not until it was too late.

There was absolutely no way around the next plan. He knew this for sure. The Shadowhunters would not be able to protect their precious Morgenstern this time. They wouldn't even be able to protect themselves. They thought they had all the time in the world. They didn't really.

They had no time at all.