part four

a new beginning
by njh

as i walked away from you
it was a finished chapter
and a new beginning
a life without you
that could be worth living

joohyuk felt like weight has been lifted off his shoulders. he went to his last class for the day and sat beside jisoo. "it's been only a day since you started to be devastated again and now you're normal. please don't tell me you gave her another chance-" jisoo started and was about to sigh until joohyuk cut him off. "i did it." joohyuk said. "did what?" jisoo asked, raising an eyebrow. "i broke up with her." he replied.

"about time." jennie said, appearing out of nowhere and sat beside joohyuk. "that's great, man! think of the upcoming days of being happier." jisoo said, grinning. "think of all the clubbing you can do." jennie piped in. jisoo and jennie high fived with jisoo saying, "and all the drinking.". joohyuk smiled and shook his head at their silliness.

after class, everyone started packing up. "jennie." joohyuk called out. "hm?" jennie replied, looking up at him. "wanna go to that new coffee shop near here?" joohyuk asked. "are you asking me out?" she asked, the corners of her lips curling up. "depends if you're saying yes." he answered, smiling.

"whoa whoa whoa whoa wait. are you seriously asking her instead of me? your bestfriend since forever?" jisoo said in disbelief. "of course i'll go with you." jennie said, a blush taking over her face. "let's go then." joohyuk said and the both of them left together, talking and leaving jisoo behind. "wow. these two are so-" jisoo stopped himself before a curse word left his lips.

joohyuk smiled as he watched jennie take a bite of her cheesecake. "it's good. so stop staring at me and eat your slice." jennie said, feeling shy. "should i? i think i like looking at you now." he replied and grinned. jennie bit her lower lip as she felt blood rush to her cheeks. "i'm just teasing you." he said, chuckling. he reached over the table and pinched her cheeks.

"i must be crazy." jennie said out loud. "hm?" joohyuk asked as he took his first bite of his slice of cheesecake. "i'm on a date with a guy who just got out of a relationship and he is flirting with me and.." she trailed off, staring at her cheesecake. "and what?" he asked, taking another bite of his cheesecake.

"and my heart is beating way too fast." she said and put her hands on her chest, feeling the fast beating of her heart. joohyuk laughed lightly and shook his head. "you're cute." he said. "oh my god i must be crazy." jennie said, covering her face with her hands.

meanwhile, soojung stared at the old pictures of her and joohyuk together. we looked so happy. she smiled at the picture of the both of them laughing. but i ruined our happiness. she dropped her smile and burst into tears once again.

"that's right, jung soojung. this is what you deserve for ruining the best thing that has ever happened to you." she said to herself.

she imprisoned herself in her bedroom and cried for days. she sat down on the sofa, staring at the tv. "jung soojung." she said. "you are horrible." she said for the nth time.

the doorbell rang and she immediately thought of a certain man. she hastily opened the door, only to be greeted with the man she has standing in front if her instead of the man she lost. "jongin?"

"hey." jongin greeted with a small smile. "i would let you come in but my place isn't entirely at its best state right now..." soojung trailed off, embarassed. "it's okay,i don't mind." he said, shaking his head. she nodded and let him in. just as he said, he didn't mind the mess and sat down on the couch.

"so what brings you here?" soojung asked as she gave jongin a cup of water. "how are you? i heard joohyuk broke up with you." he said straightforwardly. "jongin.." she said, surprised. how did he- "how did i know? easy. i followed you to the rooftop." he answered honestly. "don't answer my question. i just realized its a stupid one. obviously, you're not fine.." he added.

"jongin.." she trailed off again. he is her boyfriend but he didn't even care whether they were dating or not. "but be honest with me. do you really love me?" jongin asked and looked at her straight in the eye.

she wanted so much to say yes but she couldn't bring herself to say it. no more lying, jung soojung. she dropped her head down. you're only hurting everyone and yourself.

"it's a no, isn't it?" jongin guessed, chuckling bitterly. "i should have known.." he added. "i'm sorry-" soojung started. "but i'll wait for you." jongin concluded. "what?" she asked, surprised once again. "i'll wait for you to love me back. let it be months or years." he repeated.

"i'll wait for you. while waiting, i'll be your bestfriend instead of your boyfriend. by the time you answer me with a yes, that will be the best feeling ever." he added with a smile.

"but why?" soojung asked for the nth time. "i accepted your confession even if i didn't love you back so why?"

"because to me, you're worth it. you're worth the risk." jongin answered truthfully. "and you know me. i'm hot-tempered and take too much risks sometimes but i can wait and manage. i love you, jung soojung. and i know you know that." he looked at her with so much passion and love that soojung nearly did a double take to check.

soojung sighed and nodded. "fine. take the risk. but you have to promise me one thing." she said. jongin tilted his head and raising an eyebrow. "don't leave me. that's one thing you can promise." she said and sticked out her pinky finger.

"i can do that." jongin said, smiling and intertwining their pinkies together. "but first, let's clean your apartment."

two pairs of less lonely people in the world and their worlds became much more colorful. they didn't find their forever in each other but they found it another people's. an idiot and his love. a fool and her love. you combine them with their lovers, they become brilliant and beautiful.