Chapter 16

Gabi's visit left an ugly ache in the pit of my stomach. I dragged the covers up to my neck and replayed her words in my head. Why couldn't she understand that I needed to stay safe? That I was terrified?

My fingers trailed down my arm to the cruel, raised scar on the inside of my wrist.

Gabi needed me. Penny needed me. Piper. The Sagebrush mare. I was letting them all down.

Maybe Gabi was right. Maybe Billy had already killed me. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to erase her disappointed face from my memory. Where was my will to live? My will to fight? I wanted to be as strong as Gabi wanted me to be.

Nausea hit my stomach. Billy was stronger, smarter, and more cunning than I ever hoped to be. He'd dodge any feeble attempt on my part to outsmart him.

Shame burned my cheeks. It was too risky. I couldn't do it. I'd be better off going back to sleep and hoping he'd never find me. I sank down onto my pillow and closed my burning eyes.

All I could see was Penny's broken body, lying lifeless in some dank, filthy stall. She wouldn't stand a chance if I didn't help her. Nobody else wanted to try. I'd be every bit at fault for her death as the guy who pulled the trigger. Because I'd done nothing.

I saw the Sagebrush mare's broken body beside Penny's. She had a bloody face, as if she'd been beaten with a board. Because I'd done nothing.

My chest tightened. I hated myself. I was putting my life before theirs, but my life wasn't worth anything at the moment. I couldn't let Billy take their lives away like I was letting him take mine. That I couldn't live with.

I gripped my fists. My left hand tingled and my fingers responded more than they had in months. All that mucking must've made them stronger.

I needed to be stronger, too.

There had to be something I could do other than pathetically sit around and wait for him to finish me off. I pushed the covers away. I would help Penny, Gabi, and the Sagebrush mare. I would fight Billy if he showed up.

Gabi was right. Just because Billy was heading north didn't mean he knew where I was. He might never find me. If he did find me, that didn't mean I couldn't fight to protect myself. What if I fought - and won?

Mom said that being alive was a risk. I refused to live whatever time I had left hiding in my bedroom. I swung my legs over the side of the bed.

Just getting out of my bedroom filled me with more energy than I'd felt in days. I sat down with a cup of coffee at the kitchen table and typed 'self-defense classes' into my browser. It was time to leave 'scared little Chloe' back in California. No more relying on other people to protect me. I was going to learn how to protect myself.

"Wow." Tara did a double-take when she saw me. "What did Gabi say?"

"What I needed to hear, I guess."