Chapter Fourteen

The sea wind pulled hairs loose from Hook's ponytail, whipping them in the wind, irritating him. The breeze felt good, though, like home. This was home, after all. The seas of Neverland, where Pan couldn't go, for whatever reason.

Hook had his theories. That the demon was linked to the island, somehow. He'd heard stories of faerie creatures of the land that were bound to trees or stones. But that didn't play out, since he did visit other worlds at times (though usually he sent his shadow). That thought made Hook's stomach roll with the waves, like it never had from seasickness.

He'd had a few days to stew since his confrontation with the demon. Hours of loneliness, interrupted only by the calls of seabirds and the smell of salt air.

Pan had systematically ruined his life. With purpose. There was no questioning it, no dancing around the subject, no excuses to be made. The demon knew exactly what he was doing and acted with intent.

And his intentions were clear. To destroy Hook's life entirely, to make him pay for his perceived betrayal. To tear apart anything that made the pirate happy, to drive him mad, to break him down and make him suffer.

Part of Hook felt like he deserved it.

After seeing that other boy's loyalty, this batch's Eldest, Iggy, part of Hook felt guilty. Pan hadn't taken any new boys in months and, as far as he could tell, their mortality rate was much lower. If he had stayed with Pan, if he'd kept him amused and protected his Boys, would they still be alive today?

His mind knew that it wouldn't have made a difference, not in the long run. The demon bored too easily. Eventually, Hook would've ceased to amuse him. Just like Iggy would. Then Pan would be back to his old ways, stealing children and making them into his image before killing them for outgrowing him. Molding malleable lives into his vessels then shattering them when they fell short.

Hook knew that subconsciously he was running from the fact that the only person to catch his eye in the real world was actually Pan's shadow in disguise. Thinking back, he should've seen it. The mannerisms were the same even if the physical form wasn't. Had the demon really wormed his way that deeply into Hook's subconscious?

The pirate felt his stomach roll again and shoved that line of thought away. He didn't want to think about Pan's milk-and-honey skin or his rose petal lips or the graceful curve of his ribs or...

...or any of it!

He forced himself to focus on the problem at hand: killing Pan. And killing his little demon-in-training more properly this time.

When Hook had fled, he'd had little hope. The state of the Jolly Roger hadn't helped his mood. The main sail had been pulled down and torn into shreds. The mizzen had still been smoking, smoldering embers fluttering in the wind. Clearly that boy, Iggy, had tried to set the ship itself ablaze from the telltale scorch marks on the deck, but the wood was protected and for good reason. Instead, the wheel had been smashed, several of the spokes broken and splintered. Hook's bunk had been...defiled. The scent of Pan's skin on his sheets had been driving him so mad that he'd taken to sleeping in the crew bunks instead.

He told himself it was simply anger.

The sickening feeling in his gut and the heat in his cheeks and groin told a different story, however. One he categorically denied.

Hook would kill Pan. And his little pet, too.

And he thought, perhaps, he had a chance.

After he'd escaped the demon's clutches and made it safely back to his ship, he'd had a visitor. One that he hadn't expected, not after he'd attacked their Eldest.

The large boy, who introduced himself as Tum Tum, had come looking for Hook. He'd been frightened, white-faced and trembling. Worried for the safety of the Boys. Worried because Peter was turning one of their own, their protector, into a monster too.

Hook had thought that perhaps the boy's fears were a little blown out of proportion with emotion but he was never one to let an opportunity slip through his fingers.

He'd played the sympathetic ear, given the lad a stiff drink, applauded him for seeking help for his friends. For seeing the truth. Hook heaped praise upon Tum Tum's intelligence and leadership ability and good sense.

It didn't take long for the boy to agree to stand down. And ensure that the others did too.

They wouldn't fight against Pan, for which the pirate didn't really blame them, but they wouldn't help him either. Which, if Hook could keep them present and looking on, might be demoralizing enough to give him an advantage. Not over the demon, of course, it would only fuel his rage.

But their Eldest, Iggy, might hesitate.

Which was all Hook could hope for.

Sure, he still didn't know how he'd kill Pan. Or if the little imp was even killable. But making things work by the skin of his teeth was one of his better talents.

He was confident that he'd figure it out.

With a decisive nod, he got back to repairing his ship.