Chapter Two

My dad had been working all day, it was beginning to get late. My brothers were asleep. My mom was in the kitchen waiting for my dad, and I was laying in my bed, but I couldn't sleep. I heard the door slam open at the front of the house.

   I heard his voice. He was a mess. I heard him yell at my mother, telling her she was no good. She quietly asked him to lower his voice because we were all asleep. She asked him where he was, it was 2am she knew he wasn't at work. I was dosing off to sleep, everything seemed distant and all I could hear is them arguing again.

   As I was about to fall asleep I heard a scream. I jumped out of my bed and went to go call my brothers. All three of us went to go look at what was going on, my dad pushed my mother into the China cabinet. There was glass and blood everywhere. He grabbed her by the throat and told her to stop with her questions.

   She saw us, from the corner of her eye, she motioned us to run back into our rooms, it was too late. My dad turned around, he yelled loudly. My mother ran towards us. She picked my brothers up and put them outside the window of our house, she told them to run to our uncles house near by, at the time they were 8 and 10, it was cold but that was the only way they'd be safe. She didn't put me outside, she knew I wouldn't run fast enough to get away.

   She picked me up, ran into the bathroom, locked the door and leaned against it. By this time he was carrying a knife. He slammed on the door, but my mother held it up, she didn't back down. He slammed the door knob off and stuck the knife through the opening, my mother was cut on her upper thigh. All I could do was cry. I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything.

   Soon the neighbours dialed 911 after seeing my brothers running away from the house, we heard the sirens and alarms of the police cars, he panicked.