Chapter One

CALLIE WESTWOOD'S WORLD WAS turned upside down by three little words. The new owner. Her heart skipped a beat as she replayed the message for the fifth time.

This is Jaxon Carter, the new owner. She cringed at his frivolous introduction. I'll be arriving Tuesday afternoon to discuss the future of The Treasure Trove.

"The future?" Callie said, disheartened by the lack of emotion in his deep voice. What does he mean the future?

Callie shook off the foreboding chill that ran up her spine. She unlocked the front door and flipped the sign to OPEN. Her body moving in auto-pilot, she made quick work of her morning routine. Callie had worked for Katherine for the past four years, practically running the store as if it were her own. It seemed like only yesterday that they had been rearranging the hat and shoe collection with the furniture display in the window.

Katherine used to say, The Treasure Trove is the only place in Patterson Cove that has something for everyone, whether it be a much-loved antique, a pair of shoes, an ear to listen to your woes or a cup of tea.

Damn that lawyer, Callie hissed as she flicked on the last of the fairy lights on the window display. He said it would take several months before Katherine's will was finalised. Plenty of time for Callie to get the money together to make an offer on the place when the new owners took over.

A pang of sorrow pitted in the bottom of her stomach. She missed Katherine terribly. Her own mother had been a total waste of space. Katherine filled that role perfectly, complete with hugs and kisses that overloaded Callie's heart with love.

The familiar croak of Katherine's frog doorbell startled her back to the present.

"Hi, Callie, hope I'm not disturbing you, Lexi said warmly.

"Morning, Lexi," Callie said as she turned the radio on low, the message from Jaxon Carter temporarily forgotten. It's nine-thirty Tuesday morning, I'm not exactly run off my feet.

Lexis's eyes filled with fondness as she gazed around the shop. "No, I don't suppose you are. I'm not sure about you, but every time I walk in here, I can still hear Katherine's warm, hearty laugh.

"Me too." Callie smiled. Sort of makes me feel like she's still here, watching over the place."

Lexi frowned. "I know you miss her, but I thought we discussed the idea of you moving on from The Treasure Trove. Spreading your wings a little. There's a whole world out there and it's not like Glenn will be back."

Callie's heart broke at the mention of Glenn's name. Her so called perfect man. He wasn't so perfect when he moved away for work and decided a long-distance relationship wasn't his style.

"I know." Callie paused. "But things are looking up. I spoke to Mr. Carson at the bank and he is relooking at my loan, so there's a chance I can buy this place. It will be like a new beginning."

Lexi sighed and plopped the multi-coloured cardboard box on the counter. "I've got a delivery for you, just a small one today."

Callie's excitement bubbled over as she scooped up the box and studied the label.

"Must say, it's the first time I've delivered a box as colourful as that before. It is a new supplier?" Lexi asked.

Yes, but not for the shop. "Actually, it's my maid of honour shoes for Hope's wedding, I found the perfect colour in this little online store in Vietnam. I'm just glad they arrived in time."

"Ah, of course." Lexi smiled. "The wedding's this weekend, isn't it?"

Callie nodded as she started ripping the tape off the box.