II.X

I hate mornings.

     The sunrise was the exception, but everything else about mornings: light, bright skies, saturated colors that probed into her vision- just, no. Would it have been weird if she added sunglasses to her hoodie clad figure? It wasn't like she was planning to walk out in the streets with those early morning tourists.

     "Fuck this," Kaiyo muttered tiredly as she tracked down one of the alleys she could hide in. She scrolled through her phone to check all the plans and sniper nests that she noted from the group discussions last time. She didn't believe that this was the most she'd be seeing from the government, with it all being commendable and yet desperate at the same time. She didn't need to spend the weeks she'd already had so far to know that assassinating that octo-bastard was too likely to be impossible, as much as it made her nails dig into her hands.

     Who gives a shit if the world's blowing up in a year? I'll be dead in the next six months if I don't do any of this right.

     Kaiyo rubbed her eyes at the many places that just Red Eye was going to be sitting at. She'd already taken into account the many routes that he could take, along with the many others hired for this single trip. It was just jarring to imagine. They were likely far away enough that the shots wouldn't attract much attention. But how they were going to manage having zooming, pink BBs and a poorly disguised octopus traveling around with rambunctious kids be remotely discreet was beyond her.

     They won't see me either if it's going to be as chaotic as I expect. Not that I'm the one Red Eye would have grudges against.

     There was something way more important that she needed to deal with in this city. She had no idea how she was supposed to play this game with that creep. Guns were never an option in open cities like this one even if they got the job done quick. She never preferred to use them anyway, and the thought of it made her brush the handle that she hid on her side. It'd been a while since she'd gotten in a fight. Debilitating injuries were the only thing she'd be regretting in the aftermath; there was no way to explain her addiction, the careful control and buzzing adrenaline she thrived on in her fights.

     And this person was probably her best option when Kaiyo would find them.

     Unfortunately, she particularly wasn't excited about reenacting herself as some kind of bait. An hour into going through different systems of shady streets and alleys, she was already starting to become impatient. Unfortunately, they liked dragging things out in the beginning, and she highly doubted that she wouldn't be forced into the crossovers of the snipers for their entertainment. It was a painstakingly long and slow way of luring out the prey, and Kaiyo was just about ready to start walking around the city streets had she not felt an odd presence behind her as she walked in a more populated area.

     She twisted and turned from street to street until the areas that they were entering were emptier than the last. But she'd lose that presence when that happened, and each time she tried to look for them again, she found herself in a place closer and closer to the tourist spots that she needed to stay away from.

     They were definitely toying with Kaiyo. Each time she had to melt into the crowd with her phone was each time she knew she was being absolutely cornered. She had her eyes pinned on the figure in front of her, hooded under a thinner, gray jacket. At some point, she was pushing through the crowds of pedestrians instead of easing through the slim cracks between people. She ignored the glares and grumbles that she'd receive, but there was no denying that it became impossible as the streets became more and more crowded.

      She glanced at her phone and at the figure she was targeting before diving into a different street. She broke into a sprint, rounding around each corner until she found the right pathway. She clenched her hands hard to keep from shivering under the harsh winds in her face at the same time as she was taming her impatience by driving away the adrenaline. Her fingers found her knife's handle the moment she found that gray hoodie.