II.XVIII

Sasaki was a delight to converse with.

     Nagisa only had an inkling of it last time, but the more they walked together, the more it was hard not to open up or feel excited every morning. He normally wasn't the friendly type, so he was glad that Sasaki was the one opening up during the first minutes of their conversations. He seemed so willing to listen to Nagisa, and he had quite a memory. Nagisa almost wanted to fall completely into the illusion that Sasaki was simply a sincere person. But he kept his reservations and doubts to be of his own insecurities. He wasn't quite sure if Sasaki had any reason or motive for hanging out with E-class student like Nagisa, especially considering that he was in A-class.

     But in some ways, it seemed like Sasaki tried in subtle ways to stand out among the masses. He frequently switched the way he decided to wear his jacket, joking once that he should come in with it tied around his waist. He never seemed to carry any heavy books, and he looked so...relaxed. It was hard not to think that he wasn't some sort of genius similar to the likes of Karma or Gakushu. Sasaki was certainly nicer.

     While they waited at crosswalk, Nagisa noticed Sasaki lift his hand out, palms up towards the sky. It was rather chilly, even for the morning, and perhaps there was a little sprinkle here and there. Nagisa still couldn't quite wrap his head around the sight of Sasaki walking without his jacket and additionally with his white sleeves rolled up.

     Nagisa looked up at him while his stare was still aimed at the cloudy sky. He'd put his hand back down though. "You should really consider putting on your jacket right now. Or at least roll down your sleeves if you're worried about the rain."

     He shrugged. "Nah. It's not heavy right now. Plus, I don't mind feeling some breeze on my arms."

     Nagisa closed his jacket further against his body as said breeze icily washed over them. "You're not worried about getting sick?"

     "Doesn't happen often." He hummed a little as they continued their walk. "I don't mind the rain either. I might just fall asleep in class today listening to it."

     "Wow..."

     And most of the time, too, it was hard not to envy his nonchalance towards school.

*

     I wanna kill someone...

     It was bad enough that she normally woke up at 4 am to prepare for everything, but to have to stay in character while it was freezing beyond believable and during the rainy season? Kaiyo already found it fortunate enough that she had an umbrella in hand, but it didn't help when she had to share it with the dumbass that apparently thought he was God against Antarctic temperatures. Plus, she was shaking while trying to keep her grip on the thing.

     "It's barely even showering," muttered Karma as he reached outside the umbrella.

     Fair; it wasn't like the rain was pelting them or anything. But why did it have to be so cold? "I'm still freezing, and you're not getting sick." It took all her willpower to keep her voice straight speaking Japanese now, too.

     "Well, not everyone has that weak of an immune system."

     She didn't respond, and it was only because of the fact that her teeth were chattering that she didn't clench her jaw. He always made off-hand comments towards Akako, ones worse than the previous one, and she always understood that they were limited to her character. But this shivering wasn't Akako, and the reason why her temper was building up so easily within the spare minutes of walking with him was because she knew she was being weak. Kaiyo had the worst immunity towards the cold, and for as much self-control she could maintain, trembling and being ready to just give up and freeze over was out of her control. It didn't help that acting took too much energy and thought; she wasn't sure how she was going to be able to put up a smile while cracking her teeth with the way she'd clench them to keep from chattering constantly.