Part 3

Spike didn't know what to do. He was too shocked to scream, to bawl, to call someone for help. He'd even forgotten how to breathe properly. He was like a statue until the door slammed closed. He came back down to Earth and knew he was in the same room as the killer.

He knew that if he turned around it would be real, it would be happening so he remained frozen in the middle of the room. He would finally meet this pony. The stallion in the black cloak, threatening the Crystal Empire. They killed his love and his whole life. He was prepared to die to avenge Rarity. And he would do just that.

He took a letter opener from the desk beside the closet and swiftly turned around, prepared for a battle with somepony who was definitely much stronger than he was. The silhouette was standing in front of the door in the darkness, watching him. Spike gulped, scared. This was it. This was the end for him.

The pony started to slowly walk towards him. They were tall, taller than the average pony. Each step was like the sound of metal clipping against the crystal floor. Just then did he start to notice a large horn, long wings and a long, curly mane.

They stepped into the light shining in through the windows.

Cadance.

Cadance was the one responsible for Rarity's death, Cadance was the one who killed Shining Armor and Cadance was the one who would now kill Spike.

Spike looked at her with tears in his eyes. "Why did you do it?"

She smiled at him a smile that could melt the sun on a hot day. "You know nothing about what your wife has been up to." She walked around to the window and looked out, as if waiting for something. "They deserved everything they got."

"They deserved to die? Have you lost your mind?" Spike was fuming. She had the guts to talk so poorly of such an innocent pony and her own husband.

"I don't know how to tell you this, Spike." She looked at him, serious. "They were pigs! Unfaithful, disrespectful pigs! I've been planning this day for a very long time. The day I could get my revenge! I could get them back for all the trouble they've caused me! For all the trouble they've caused us! She didn't love you, Spike. If she did, she wouldn't have cheated on you."

Spike was taken aback. He hadn't a clue what to believe. Rarity would never do something so low. She loved him. "You're lying!"

"Oh, come on, Spike! She may be the element of generosity but haven't you noticed she can be a little too generous at times? I know that deep down, you've always been afraid she would choose somepony else."

That was the worst part. She was right. Spike always thought she'd change her mind. He was angry, or so he thought he was, his emotions were everywhere at that moment, and he was very confused. But no matter what, she didn't deserve to die! She was a good pony who made a mistake. And whether that mistake was cheating on Spike or marrying him in the first place, didn't matter.

Spike wanted to scream, to yell at Cadance, to call for help. But when he opened his mouth, that's not what came out. "Why were you threatening the Crystal Empire if you only wanted to hurt Shining Armor and..." he choked up. "...Rarity?"

She looked at him and laughed. "Haven't you ever heard of a red herring before?" she said.

"Why did you do this? Why did you kill them? That's the father of your child for pony's sake!"

Her eyes turned dark. "That cave messed me up, Spike. Nopony seems to understand that. I was starving, I was cold, my own fiancé almost married another pony because she looked like me! And nopony seemed to know I was even gone. Not my fiancé, not my aunt, nopony! Just like nopony will notice when they're gone."

Silence broke as Spike tried to figure out his next move. She was clearly unstable. He still had the weapon in his claw. He was going to use it.

He ran at Cadance, the weapon hidden behind his back. Just as he was about to pull it out, Cadance's horn lit up and Spike found himself falling, falling, falling, a sharp pain in his chest. He didn't bother to look at where the pain was coming from, he liked to believe it was his heart shattering for letting Rarity die. He would soon join her.

Cadance leaned over him with a scowl. "This story's had enough heroes." And with that, Spike fell into a very deep sleep.