Prologue

Deetranada P.O.V.

I walked out of the jail only to see Sage and Ann outside waiting for me. I grinned and hugged Sage. He slapped my head that was now exposed to the hot sun since I'd cut it while I was in jail.

After getting caught with the drugs in my backseat, I was took under police custody and questioned. I said nothing at all. They gave me a deal - tell them who I got the drugs from and they'd leave me alone.

Flashback: 4 years ago

"Here's a deal we're willing to make," Detective Gordon started, "tell us the truth about where you got those drugs, and we'll let you go and you'll never have to see any more of me or Detective Stanley again - as long as you stay out of trouble."

I stared at him blankly with my arms crossed. As much as I did not like Jefe after our run in, I kept my mouth shut about him and my father's drug cartel. I stuck with my story which was that it was planted on me.

"Who planted it on you?"

"I don't know, it wasn't there last time I checked." I said with an attitude.

•••

As a result of my trial, I was locked up for 4 years. Bail was set at 25k. We could've paid it, I just didn't want them to. I spent some time in jail leading up to my trial. I was at peace there actually - made some enemies before I made some real friends, or a real friend.

Don't get me wrong, jail was hell, but I don't know what I would've done without it.

"You held your own in there." Sage said softly.

We hugged for such a long time.

"Stop hogging her, Sage." Ann said.

I walked over to her and we hugged. I then heard sniffling.

"Ann, you crying?" I asked.

She cried on my shoulder which made me cry. I missed Ann so much.

"I wish I could've visited you more." She cried once we pulled away.

I wiped my tears. "I got myself up in here, don't blame yourself. Plus, you were in college, it ain't your fault." I said.

"Y'all speed this up, we gotta get to The Joint." Sage said excitedly.

"It's been a minute since I heard 'The Joint.' It feels so weird saying it." I said.

We got into Sage's Cadillac SUV and he drove.

"I hope y'all kept Ash safe." I said from the back.

"You already know. Aye, just out of curiosity, are you..." Sage trailed off.

"Am I what?" I asked curiously.

"You know." He said.

"I really don't, just say it."

"Are you gay now?" He asked.