Chapter 1

"At night they fly, you better run, these winged things are not much fun

"At night they fly, you better run, these winged things are not much fun." – Jumanji

Finally, spring break is here! One whole glorious week away from the torture chamber called Kilsoquah High School. A week of not having to see all of the people's faces that make my life a living hell, that make it worse than it already is.  

As an added bonus, I've also got a rare Saturday off of work which just so happens to be today. I don't know how or why because I always have to work on the weekends. The stars must've aligned or something. To me, this is like winning the lottery. Well, almost.  

Even though I desperately need the money, I'm certainly not going to complain about missing work today. I'm going to have to get a second job soon anyway in order to pay for some courses at the community college, so I better enjoy what little free time I get now.    

So, I intend to enjoy today to the fullest extent; carpe diem and all that.

No slinging greasy burgers and fries, cleaning the restrooms, or waiting tables for me. That within itself is enough to celebrate. 

I smile as I see the sun shining through the window. I can't wait to get out of here.  

God...it's been a long, grueling week of testing, on top of all of the other typical high school bullshit, not to mention work. And after the long, harsh winter, a day like today is a treat, especially since this is Indiana after all. You never know what the weather will be like tomorrow.

Another unfortunate and major downside of living here and enduring the winters that we have, besides all of the cold and the snow, is gaining a few extra pounds...especially for me. As if I need that.  

So, what I have planned today will hopefully help with my new strategy to get in shape. I figure if I can do something I enjoy while getting exercise, then I will stick with it and not become bored or discouraged like I usually do. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Maybe then someone will ask me out, or at least to prom. I mean, I would like to attend at least one teenage rite of passage before I graduate.

Oh, who am I kidding? None of those guys will ever ask someone like me out, the girl from the wrong side of the tracks, the misfit and outcast; the poor, white trash with a whore for a mother. Yeah, I've heard it all, been called it all.

This is why I need to get away from here for a while and enjoy the sun and the fresh air. I barely leave the house unless it's to go to school, work, the library, or grocery shopping since I rarely have any extra money to blow and no social life. Sigh...

After thinking all week about what few free outdoor options there are around here, I decided to go for a hike. Well, nature walk would probably be a better way to put it because I'm certainly not athletic enough for hiking. I enjoy sightseeing and exploring, just being by myself. It's what I'm used to.