Chapter 2

The drive was pleasant

The drive was pleasant...that is, until this last twenty miles or so.

That's when I hit nothing but a combination of dirt and gravel roads, all of which are heavily rutted and riddled with holes.

Just my luck

Just my luck.

I have never in my life seen or experienced so many dirt and gravel roads in one area.

Did the Department of Transportation run out of money, or is there some kind of asphalt shortage here? It's as if their goal is to make this area as inhospitable as possible. If that's the case, then they've most definitely succeeded.

I have to be extremely careful, driving very slowly, and at times, almost to a crawl in certain sections in order to dodge all of the holes.

The one redeeming factor that's allowing me to keep my nerves from being worn to a complete frazzle is being able to listen to my music which always tends to make things better. Well, it masks the grating noise of the rough gravel roads and the various rattles in my car anyway.

I'm not too sure that my car or the tires will survive this road from Hell intact. Even more troubling is the fact that my cell phone has zero reception and has been this way for the past half hour.

Maybe I should turn around. I certainly can't afford my car or tires being damaged.

After I think on it for a minute, I decide that I've already come too far to just simply turn around. Besides, my car is making it just fine despite everything, so far. I doubt that one of those jacked-up monster trucks with the huge wheels could do any better.

As you can tell, I love my car. It's older, but still pretty nice, at least to me anyway. I would've never considered driving my car on roads like this, not even for a second, but again, for some strange reason, I just have to get there.

When I first got my car, Denise tried to make me give it to her while I took her old, rusted out piece of shit 1984 Ford Tempo. When I told her that it wasn't happening, she cussed me out, slapped and threatened me; you know, the norm between her and I. So I always keep my keys hidden, sleeping with them under my pillow at night and my car always locked up whether she's home or not because not only do I not trust her, but we do live in the ghetto.