Chapter Six: No!

A few weeks later, Coal had recovered from yet another beating. His father was away, hoping to finish off the rest of the Claw in one swoop. But just when it seemed like things were better again, they went downhill. Fast.

Coal was shoved to the ground and kicked into the wall as two dragons pushed past him.

"Watch where you're going maggot." Prickle taunted, spitting at his brother before swaggering down the hall. Fennec paused for a moment, studying his brother ruefully. Coal groaned and slowly started to pick himself up. His brother nodded at him, and he quietly nodded back.

The nod was the closest thing to an act of kindness Coal knew. Fennec would never help his brother, or take his side, or defend him against their father, but he wasn't going to beat him up like everyone else. And for that, Coal was grateful. 

Two hours later, chaos was unleashed upon the Headquarters. Messengers ran through the halls, screaming the news in fear. Coal was watering the lilies as one ran by.

"THE LEADER IS DEAD!" the frantic dragon cried out. Coal dropped the water for the plants. "DROUGHT HAS PERISHED, AND TAKEN THE CLAW WITH HIM!"

Could it really be true? 

Could his father really be dead?

What happened?

Coal darted out of the room and ran for the center of the headquarters, where his brothers were already waiting with the rest of the now fearful gang. There was a raised chair at the front of the room, where Drought would always sit. But now this chair stood empty, and Prickle and Fennec stood before it. Coal rushed over to them.

"Is it true?" he asked, not caring how hard his brother would slaps him for speaking. Fennec's shocked expression and Prickle's mask of disbelief said it all. 

"Yes," Fennec explained. "He killed the Leader of the Claw, and died of his wounds right next to his enemy." Coal's eyes widened with fear.

"W-what happens now?" 

"You'll have to wait and see." Prickle turned away from the chair and faced the crowd, Fennec and Coal quickly following suit.

"My fellow members," Prickle began regally. "I know you are all concerned. Yes, the rumors are true. My father has died. But he died honorably, avenging his fallen comrades. As his oldest son, I will be the one to take his place as leader of the Sting." 

Whispers immediately sparked up. Prickle was eight, so it was allowed, but Fennec was too close to Prickle's age to be named heir. No gang could survive without an heir. Who was he to name?

Coal, on the other hand, was rethinking the idea of suicide very seriously. If Prickle was gonna be in charge.....Yea. Death was definitely looking like an excellent option. 

"Seeing as there needs to be one," Prickle continued. He turned slightly. "I officially name my brother Coal as the new heir to the Sting." 

Coal choked on air and tried to look calm as all eyes turned to him in equal shock. Coal? The dragonet they had all thrown a punch at at one time or another? Their new heir? This raised some fear. Coal agreed wholeheartedly- he was terrified.

*~*~*~*~*

Two days later, after filling Dusk in on everything that was happening, Coal awoke to shouts in the hallway.

All the members of the Claw are dead, he reminded himself. I should be concerned. He darted out into the hallway to see all of the prisoners being forced out of their cells. Prickle overlooked the removal with a smile on his face. 

"Prickle!" Coal exclaimed, his eyes widening in fear as Dusk was forced out of his cell. "What are you doing?"

"These prisoners are wasting our space and our resources. It's high time we got rid of them." Prickle explained.

"You're letting them go?" Coal asked hopefully. Maybe he'd been wrong. Maybe Prickle could be a good leader after all.

"Letting them go?" Prickle wrinkled his snout in disgust. "And risk them exposing our secrets? No way. I'm having them killed."

"What!" Coal looked around and bolted toward Dusk. 

Dusk. 

The only dragon who had ever cared.

The dragon who had worried about him.

The dragon who had a family.

The closest thing to a friend he had ever known.

"No!" Coal screamed, trying to pry the guard away from him. "LET HIM GO!" But then Prickle was there, knocking his brother to the ground. Coal scrambled to his feet, attempting to rush back to Dusk, but Prickle only held him back. 

"Coal, he is a prisoner! He deserves to die!" 

"No!" Coal fumed. He'd never felt this angry before. The only thing he had connecting him to a world that knew what love is was about to be taken from him. He turned and glared at his brother with burning hatred. "No, you deserve to die, Prickle!" 

His brother's face flashed with anger and he pulled back a fist. Coal barely registered the pain before the whole world went black.