First Day of Christmas

December, 2012

December, 2012

This was his first time in Russia, he came to St. Petersburg to attend a skating camp run by a world famous coach, Yakov Feltsmann. He hoped that with the little he could learn from him in these 3 weeks he could improve his technique to be able to have a great Senior Debut.

Fortunately, he wasn't alone since his best friend and rinkmate Phichit Chulanont (a Thai skater) was coming with him to train. Celestino, their coach had high hopes for this trip, the only downside was that they'll have to spend the holidays training.

"Yuuri! Come over here, we have a little situation with your lodging", said Celestino turning from the Front Desk at the designated hotel. "Look, for whatever reason I can't comprehend you weren't assigned a room up until the 13th!" He looked quite agitated. "Since we paid your whole stay, the hotel said they've placed you in a little inn not far from the rink. Would you be ok by yourself? They assure me they speak English and you'll have a van picking you up everyday for and from training. You'd be back here with the rest for the last 2 weeks of training... What do you say?"

Poor Celestino looked furious and desolated at the same time, since he had 2 more skaters to take care apart from Phichit and him, all he could say was "Sure, no problem!"

The Nikiforov Inn was a beautiful building from the turn of the century, white marble on the outside which gleams with the snow surrounding the property. Two story with a big front porch and what looked like a huge garden.

The Front Desk clerk introduced himself as Otabek, a man not much older than himself, which made him quite comfortable. Otabek said that he was the only guest in the property since they usually have very few reservations for this time of year, especially since they don't open during the season.

This sounded quite strange for Yuuri, since his family had a lodging establishment back in Japan, an onsen, and knew that this season was one of the busiest of the year for any hotel.

"So", asked Yuuri, "you close from the 13th until New Year's Eve?"

"No, not that long! We only close from de 13th until Christmas Day. Right on the 26th we have bookings for the New Year season", he expressed looking quite serious as he had since they met.

"Anyway, come. I'll show you your room". Otabek said while walking with one of Yuuri's suitcases. They talked all the way to the room, where the Japanese told him he was a skater and the reason for his trip; Otabek then told him he was welcome to practice in the frozen lake inside the property grounds which excited Yuuri since he loved the freedom of skating in a natural environment, this was shaping up to be a great holiday.

 They talked all the way to the room, where the Japanese told him he was a skater and the reason for his trip; Otabek then told him he was welcome to practice in the frozen lake inside the property grounds which excited Yuuri since he loved the fr...

A week has passed and Yuuri has taken the most of the Nikiforov inn. It was such a beautiful property that he loved to roam around the house and see all the little details. He spent his free moments away from the intensive and exhausting camp, sitting by the fire and reading, and some evenings he would go out and skate freely, without pressure, in the frozen lake.

At his 19 years, he was a fine skater, one of the top ones in the Japanese Junior League, but there was always something missing from his skating and Russia was helping him find it.

One day, while he was exploring the house, he discovered a room with old photos that he analyzed; they looked to be from the 1920's for the clothing they were wearing. But one photo stood out the most, a photo of a young man looking to be around 25 or 26 years old, with a striking look in his clear eyes and a head of hair that looked as if it were... white?

Intrigued by this, he asked the clerk if he knew the story of the man to which he answered:

"That's Viktor Nikiforov. He owned the inn but was murdered back in 1925, on Christmas Eve. Legend says he haunts the house and anyone in it during the season so that's why we close", said Otabek, hunching his shoulders and laughing it off. " Anyway, it's just gossip".

Tomorrow he would have to check out of the inn, but there was one thing he would miss the most: the lake.

So, he went down to the Front Desk to talk things over with Otabek.

"So, Otabek, you tell me the inn will be closed form tomorrow morning, right?"

"Indeed, we will", he answered. Yuuri asked then "So, do you think it would be a terrible problem if I were to come back just to skate a little? It gives me the peace and quite I need to really focus on my jumps. Please say yes! Back in the hotel I wouldn't have anywhere to practice and I need all the practice I can get to perfect my game, please!"

Otabek seemed to be considering it for a couple of minutes, until finally he said: "Ok, BUT, please you have to promise you won't try to enter the house. I really shouldn't let you but since it is the grounds and not the HOUSE... I guess it won't be a problem".

"Yes!" Yuuri screamed, quite pleased. This is just what he needed.

 This is just what he needed

Welcome again!

So this is the beginning, we'll see how this story evolves, the inspiration truly hit me in the head xD

I hope you like the story!

~ lilo ~

BTW, the names of the chapters are part of the lyrics for the Christmas carol lending the name to the story. The video in the prologue is a beautiful performance of said carol.