Chapter 12

Aragorn lay with his eyes closed and his ear pressed to the for the sound of footsteps.

" Their pace has quickened. " He mumbled, looking up. "They must have caught our scent. Hurry!" He exclaimed before running off.

"Come on, Gimli!" Legolas coached, looking back at Gimli before running after Aragorn.

Gimli paused in his steps and huffed. "Three days' and nights' pursuit. No food. No rest. And no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell." He muttered before following off after the two more agile members of the party.

The Three Hunters ran across rocks and plains, with Aragorn in the lead, followed by Legolas and Gimli. From time to time, Legolas would look back to make sure that Gimli was keeping up.

Aragorn suddenly bent down to pick up an Elven brooch from the ground as his two companions came to a halt at his sides.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall." Aragorn spoke, inspecting the brooch and turning it in his hands delicately.

"They may yet be alive." Legolas concluded, he was generally the hopeful one of the team.

"Less than a day ahead of us. Come!" Aragorn spoke, already running off again as Gimli stumbled from behind some rocks and rolled to the ground.

"Come, Gimli! We are gaining on them!" Legolas urged.

Gimli panted. "I am wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!"

------------

The three hunters came over a hill and paused as they gazed across the plains below.

"Rohan. Home of the horse-lords. There is something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures, sets its will against us." Aragorn monologued as Legolas ran ahead and looked out to the horizon.

"Legolas, what do your Elf eyes see?" Aragorn called out to him.

"The Uruks turn northeast. They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" Legolas shouted back.

"Saruman." Aragorn concluded.

--------

AUTHORS NOTE

So, how many of you guys have that stupid song stuck in your head? Cause I certainly do 😂

Anyways, until next update, keep reading and voting. It means the world to me.

Lord_luthien