Chapter 2

'Gay's The Word', the sign reads above Vik's head, his eyebrow raising as he takes it in.

Despite the name, the place looks entirely professional. White lettering on a blue background. It's not particularly interesting, and doesn't stand out at all, unless you take the opportunity to read the name. Vik figures that's the whole point of it.

"It's great, isn't it?" Tobi asks, a smile lighting up his face, "I mean, it's the only specifically gay bookshop in the entire country, and also the LGSM headquarters, as Harry likes to say. Really, we're just a group of friends who meet up here, and sometimes make plans. You much of a reader?"

"A bit, yeah. There's not much to get my hands on where I'm from, though. People will judge you for 'trying to look smart', instead of being useful and doing practical work."

"I get you, my family's kind of similar. 'For fuck's sake Tobi, get your head out of the clouds and do something, you're not a fairy.'" He laughs, slightly bitterly. "Well, they were definitely wrong on that one."

Vik smiles back, strained, lightly touching Tobi's elbow as a reserved sign of support. It's clearly a touchy subject for Tobi, so he doesn't want to push it, seeing as they've known each other less than a day.

Harry's up ahead, holding the door open for the two of them, the bell constantly ringing overhead as he swings it back and forth.

"Harry, you attention-seeking brat. Either get Tobi to hurry up or close the door, you're doing my fucking head in." A voice calls from inside.

Harry rolls his eyes, "sorry mum, Tobi's taking ages to get his new boytoy inside."

"TOBI'S FOUND SOMEONE? MAN, I'VE GOT TO MEET THIS KID." A loud, boisterous voice shouts from out of the upstairs window, and a round face peers, grinning down at them. He's got a wide smile, and blue eyes, and he seems like a nice guy. He turns back around, clearly listening out to somebody, before replying, a guilty expression on his face as he pulls the window to a close. "Sorry Josh."

After that explosive welcome, Vik is ushered inside by Tobi, who whispers in Vik's ear. "They're an odd bunch, but they mean well and love and support each other. You'll get used to them." The door swings shut behind them, the bell ringing once again to alert of their presence.

Behind the countless rows of books, a tall man with dark blond hair sits at a till, holding a book in his hands. He looks up expectantly at Vik, his eyes widening at Tobi's hand pressed against his back.

"Tobi? Who's this, then?"

"This is Vik. He came and joined us at the march today. Just fell into step beside us, and said he can help with the cause. He's from... where was it, Vik?"

"Sheffield. I was intrigued by why you'd want to help miners, being raised in that kind of society myself, but Tobi and Harry explained it, and I think I might be able to help."

The man smiles, and stands from his seat, reaching out to hug Vik across the desk, "you don't need to explain yourself to me, hun. I'm Simon, Joshy and I own the shop. We let the kids use the place to plan, and sometimes help out if we can." It's a bit awkward, considering the till in between, but Vik's lack of height and Simon's excess of it balances out.

"Si, you're about 7 or 8 months older than me, you can't call me a kid."

Dramatically, Simon throws a hand to his chest, pretending to wipe tears from his eyes. "How can you talk to me like that? I clothed you, fed you, raised you... and this is how you repay me?"

"As much as I love the performance, sweetheart, we don't want to scare the newbie. Vik, was it?" A bearded man leans against the bannister of the wooden stairs, that disappear up into the next floor of the shop. Simon laughs, swanning over to wrap his arms around the man's shoulders, nuzzling his nose into the side of the man's head. He rolls his eyes at Simon's need for touch, reaching out a hand in Vik's direction, to shake. "Hello, I'm Josh."