Epilogue

Two Years Later

***

Freya could not believe this day had come.

As a child, she had always wished to wear an ornate white wedding dress and walk down an aisle of sand and have not only her husband in sight but the sea as well.

Now in her late-twenties, her dream had come true.

Underneath her bare feet, Freya could feel the heated sand caught in between her toes, feel the cool breeze and spray of salt coming from the ocean a yard away and see her childhood home towering behind her.

"You ready darling," Her father asked her as the pianist, an old friend they had hired began the signature bridal chorus used in nearly all weddings.

"You know better than anyone I am never ready, dad." 

"And that's how I know you're my daughter."

As Freya and her father walked down the aisle of sparkling, diamond-like sand, she couldn't help but grip the bouquet of flowers in her hand as if it were a sweet smelling stress ball.

Just a few more steps to go.

Infront of her on the wooden stage stood Lance and the priest but her eyes only fell on Lance.

Even with her veil obscuring most of her face she could still clearly see he was just as nervous as her.

Who knew after all these years of friendship and failed dates would lead to a sunshine filled afternoon wedding in the middle of Bognor Regis beach.

In some ways, this felt exactly like prom all over again for Freya.

The white roses, the way the noon sun reflected off the sea and reminded her of the baby blue dress she wore and most importantly the people, all now adults.

Most of the guests that were seated on the wooden benches were the same people who watched in awe the moment when Lance first saw her that night.

That day also marked the very first time any of them saw Bognor Regis High's best-known tomboy act like the other girls.

Stepping on the stage, Freya could feel the panic set in when her father let go but the anxiety she felt was quickly gone when Lance held on instead.

She could see a small grin forming on this face as the priest began to speak, book open wide in his hand.

"Lance Heyes, do you take Freya to be your wife? Do you promise to be faithful to her in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love her and to honour for the rest of your life?"

"I do," Lance says looking at me, even though I knew he couldn't look right at my face.

"Freya Pickney, do you take Lance to be your husband? Do you promise to be faithful to him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love him and to honour him the rest of your life?"

"I don't know, he can be kind of a douche sometimes and it's hard to honour a douche."

Freya smirked when she heard everyone erupt in unending chuckles.

"But when he's not, I do with all my heart." She added when the laughter subsided.

"Then, by the power vested in me, I declare you husband and wife."

Closing his book he adds, "You may now kiss your bride." As Freya and Lance place their rings on each other's fingers.

At this, Lance did not falter in any of his movements as he lifted the white veil of Freya's head and laid his lips on top of hers; the array of wedding guests seated in front of them forgotten.

White rose petals are thrown in the air and out of all the cheer and joy expressed by the crowd a pregnant woman with pastel pink hair and her long-haired fiance yell the loudest.

"Frence forever!"

With this, the kiss ends and slowly the party unwinds as the newlywed couple prepare for the future that now awaits them, together.

***

Right before they joined their crowd of guests at the outdoor dining tables Lance held her back, lifting both of their right hand towards the beaming sun and clasping them together.

The sun reflected off Freya's wedding band in a rainbow of colours.

"Too soon?" He whispered leaning his forehead on hers.

"No." She responded, pulling him into their second kiss since being husband and wife.

Their future may be blurry but like their rings exposed to the earth's most beloved star, it was going to be bright.

★★★

Word Count: 770

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited