Part Five: Just A Coworker

"Don't go through life, grow through life."

-Eric Butterworth

Word count: 994

I don't remember his name- The new guy I mean. I know he was a dishwasher, and I know the boss didn't care for him, but I can't remember his name. Normally, I just hand the dishes to him and call it a day, but after watching the news, I was astounded to find it was him. He brought a gun to school, and killed people.I wasn't mean to him, but I think I could've been nicer. I mean how hard would it've been to just smile to him, or say thanks. 

Maybe I could have offered to take him out with the guys. I mean he was scrawny and by the looks of him, I don't think he had many friends. But I definitely did not show any kindness.Maybe it's meant to be like this. Maybe, some people are born to do good things, and people like me are born to balance their goodness.

"Hey! Waiter boy!" I snapped my head up from my book, and looked over to the corner booth were two women sat. They looked to be 35- maybe 40. I grabbed my pen from behind my ear and skated across the checkered floors before finally reaching them. "Oh- uhm... Darlene! What did you want again?" She looked expectantly at the lady across from her.

"Just a small plate of fries- y'all do have that don't ya?" She asks placing her head on her fisted hand. She smiled at me, and I smiled, flashing my teeth. After two years of braces, I decided to would make the most out of my newly whitened and straightened teeth.

"Yes ma'am... Would you like any drinks? Or anything else?" I scribble on my notepad their orders, never breaking eye contact. Then I walked back to the kitchen and hanging it on the fishing line and pulling it so the chef can cook their meals.

"When the shop is closed I need to have a meeting with any staff member. Waiters and waitresses included." Boss man says. I look around and share confused glances with my coworkers. What was this about? Work passed by the same way it always had. Slowly and painfully, but it did pass.

"Bye!" I say before stepping out of the small locker room in the back. "I'll see y'all tomorrow," I let my southern accent show and smile at the cashier. She blushed.

"Ah, ah, ah- You still need to go to the meeting." (Boss guy) says. "Okay guys! If I could just have your attention, I only need to discuss a few things! Let's go, let's go, let's go!" the late night workers began filtering out of the locker room, and sitting in the freshly cleaned booths.

"Sir, I don't mean to be disrespectful- But I need to go, like now." I say leaning against the wall. My skates were tied around my neck, and my small towel hung over my shoulder.

"It will only be a minute." He says, looking around the room. "Quiet! Please! okay so I called you all here to let you know, Wesley has been released from his employment contract. He no longer works here In fact, a few changes to staff are going to be posted on the bulletin board." He sticks a tack against the newly hung cork board lining the wall by the registers. "Any information and work schedules will be posted right here." Was Wes the dishwasher?

"Can we go now?" Somebody asks. I rolled my eyes "One last thing... due to recent events, I want all of you guys to come forward if you think somebody is a danger to others. I don't care if its a joke or not, suicide, murder, and violence are not to be mentioned at all. If I hear about any of this, you will be put on probation. If you violate rules while on probation, well... you can count on losing privileges and maybe you job. Also, if it was unclear before, I have a strict no weapon policy. Kitchen things only. Goodnight everybody, thanks for staying." Everybody began pushing chairs and walking out of the door, excited to get home. I stuck behind for a while, and locked my stuff up.

"Listen, (Brady?) I need you to do something for me." Boss guy says as we step out of the building and into the cool night's air. The rain had just slowed down to a slight drizzle, a drastic change from the day's torrential downpour.

"What is it Boss Man?" I saw looking at his struggling face. It was almost as if he couldn't decide how he felt at the moment.

"I need you to be my eyes and ears. You're young, you get the teenage lingo don't you?" At the sound of his desperation, I decided that maybe I could be one of those people destined for good things, and that I would help.

"Sure," I say pushing back my hair and pulling out a cigarette. After a few moments of silence, we bid our goodbyes. He got into his car and drove off, the end of his night was approaching, but mine hadn't even begun...

_

_

_

AN: Kinda a filler :/ but hey a new chapter!

Okay this one is dedicated to a friend without a Wattpad account, but she's an amazing editor nonetheless. Special thanks to her. Any way, do you like the outsider's view point? It didn't really talk much about the actual incident, but it picks up soon I promise. Everything is written, but editing is definitely needed. 

I would also like to announce my new story, I have no title, no middle or an ending, but i think it has some potential. Funny story, I had begun to write it in maybe 7th grade and looking back, I realized I had never finished it. So story number 2 should be up by the summer- If all goes well I mean. Happy readings

-Lila