End of Summer

"You have to go," I forcefully shove Alice out of my apartment, "you've been over here everyday this summer helping me get set up. Haven't you gotten tired of me yet?"

"You know I love teasing you King," she says, sticking out her hand and stroking my cheek. I reach up, take her hand, and return it to her side of the threshold.

"Your parents miss you," I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'll miss you though," she whines and steps back into my apartment, "plus I like watching you paint and build furniture."

I grab her by her shoulders and shove her back outside, "Text me when you get home."

She huffs, spins on her heels, and stomps down the hall like a three year old. Thank god I didn't have any neighbors. I wave to her as the elevator doors close and she just scowls at me.

I smirk as I close my door and pull out my phone. I dial Lucy's number.

"Amy," she answers after the first ring.

"Lucy," I respond, mocking her.

"Haha, very funny," she says sarcastically, "school starts tomorrow."

"Yeah, thanks for the reminder," I groan as I collapse onto my couch.

"How was your summer?" She changes the subject, sensing that I don't want to talk about school.

"It was alright. I painted a lot of the rooms, built some tables and things that I didn't want to go out and buy," I answer. Knowing that's not what she wanted to hear about, "and I made a friend. I think."

"You think?" She tries to stifle her excitement.

"Well, she came over everyday for the summer and just kinda watched me while I worked on the apartment, and we chatted a lot," I pause, thinking about Alice. "I don't feel uncomfortable when she touches me," I admit.

"Sounds like a keeper," she says and I groan at her use of the outdated phrase. "You'll be meeting my friend tomorrow, she teaches at the high school," she says out of nowhere.

"The one who got everything set up here?" I inquire.

"Yes. I've asked her to look out for you while I'm not there. So if you need anything she will give you her contact info when you get to her class. She teaches AP Biology," she takes a breath and I see that as my opportunity to interject.

"You said 'while I'm not there'," I point out, "are you planning on coming here?"

"On my breaks, yes," she says and a smile makes its way to my face.

"I'm looking forward to it," I say warmly. I missed talking with her, she's the only person that knows my story. She's the only one who's been able to unlock me mind.

"Hey listen, I gotta go. I have to go visit my parents soon," we exchange our goodbyes and I hang up the phone.

As soon as I drop my phone on my chest, it buzzes. A text from Wonderland.

Home safe.

I start to reply, but another text comes through.

My parents want to meet you. Dinner at 5:00? I'll pick you up.

My heart drops to my stomach. Oh no. No no no. This is not gonna happen. I can't meet her parents. Why do I even need to meet her parents, it's not like we're dating or anything. Her parents are going to ask all kinds of questions that I'm not going to be able to answer.

Interrupting my panic is another text from Alice.

Okay, you've been typing for a while now. So either you're typing a novel or panicking.