❝ Chapter I. The Titanic ❞

・・・・

・・・・

  𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓣𝓲𝓽𝓪𝓷𝓲𝓬

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLANDApril 10, 1912

April 10, 1912

          "There's no need to run!" scolds a British brunette to the twins who are scurrying past the busy crowd of first class passengers, and into their designated suite. A smile stretches the pair's faces, nudging each other with an excited laugh, as their hair soar against the wind. Nearby onlookers, especially the staffs accompanying fellow passengers, cannot help but be amused. They know exactly what they are feeling.

          Scoffing, her brother beside her helps the employees carry their suitcases, earning him a thankful nod. "Oh, let them be, Poppy. We're in the ship of dreams! If I were them, I'll never stop running."

          "That may not be the best activity for an older man, Eugene."

          Eugene rolls his eyes at his younger sister, Scarlett, slightly flushing upon their snickers. "I'm 29, idiot. Are any wrinkles or pores visible on my face, huh? I don't think so. Much better if you'll ask Ron here about being old."

          Walking ahead of them, hands in his pockets, the second child glances back at the mention of his name. "Careful, wouldn't want to insult the youngest architect of the ship you're staying on, would you now, brother?"

          A chorus of groans erupt from the group. This is the twenty-third time Ronald Kline declares his association with the builders of the Titanic, and it is starting to get them riled up. Although proud and impressed, the Klines sometimes had the urge to tape his mouth for his arrogance, which is getting hard to suppress everyday.

          Choosing not to reply, the remaining siblings did not rush their pace without admiring the rich, cream color of the walls and the red carpet with intricate gold patterns. The Titanic is indeed a sight for its enormous size, though much more inside the ship.

          Their moment is interrupted as the twins come back in an ecstatic state, pulling Poppy and Ronald to their destination. "Faster!" exclaims Orion.

          They halt in front of six adjacent mahogany doors. The oldest Kline turns to her brothers and sisters. "Listen up. A room only consists of two bedrooms, which is obviously not enough for us. The bottom line is that we ought to group ourselves by two, and he or she will be your roommate for the rest of the trip. Seeing we're an odd number, one will have a room to themselves. So choose wisely," said Poppy, holding the hand of the youngest child, Sebastian.

          After a bustling couple of minutes and a few arguments, partners are formed: Ronald and Scarlett, Eugene and Urion, Tabitha and Ivory, and finally, Gregor and Orion. That leaves the 18-year-old Ivonne Kline alone. Realizing this, the noise between the ten siblings dies down, before looking at the figure of the young lady far from them.

          The pale brunette is sitting cross-legged on a dark blue chair, a pencil and a sketchbook on her hands, sketching delicately. Her eyes are cast downwards, thus not seeing Poppy approach her. Once she catches a view of her sister's dress, the girl peeks up, puzzled. "Something wrong, Po?" she asked softly.

          Poppy smiles at the nickname she refuses to let anyone use except her. "Nothing, darling. I was just -- "

          "So I heard. I'll be alright by my own," assures Ivonne, standing up after organizing her stuff inside her suitcases. "A preference, actually."

          "But you lock yourself too often," Tabitha cuts off, concerned.

          The girl sighs. "This time I won't. I promise."

          Staring at her for a long time, Poppy gives in, though not before saying, "We're your family, Bon. Don't push us out, okay? No judgments."

          She nods, and watches her siblings situate themselves to their own rooms, leaving her standing at the crowded hallway. The brunette gives another heavy sigh, trudging to hers alongside her maid, Maude Walters and her Golden Retriever, Lizzy whom both just arrive.

・・・・

( banner! by HeartlessVibes )