Chapter Twenty-two

Rosa gripped the saddle's pommel with both hands, keeping her gaze fixed on Cameron's back as they rode out of the courtyard and away from McWilliam. It didn't take long before Fortress Doom was lost from sight, disappearing beyond the horizon of foothills and sheep-studded fields.

She opened her mouth, then closed it again, not knowing how to broach the subject. Crotchety Cameron, just disobey a direct order and turn a blind eye while I disappear off into the sunset. Oh, and while you're at it, could you point me in the direction of the English border? And a town where I can buy some food.

Cameron kept a steady pace, neither acknowledging her or any of their surroundings.

Rosa tried to nudge her mare faster, but she just flicked her ears, content to remain behind Cameron's steed. What was it with Scottish horses? They were as stubborn as the people themselves.

She took a deep breath. Knowing Cameron, as soon as she asked, he'd probably insist she go to McCrae just to spite her.

The drovers' road forked, but Cameron continued forward.

She frowned. "Isn't that north?" She pointed to the road not taken. "Isn't that the way to McCrae?"

Silence.

"Because I won't mind if you didn't take me to Laird Klyes. We could go to Leeds instead."

More silence.

"Sir, you cannot ignore me forever. Whether you like it or not we're traveling together, and I'm under your protection." Though hopefully not for too much longer. She pulled at the reins, and eventually her horse halted.

He twisted around to look at her, without halting his own beast. "We aren't going to McCrae," he heaved. "I won't let your presence at Uilleim endanger my family any more. I'm taking you to South Druiminn, and from there you should be able to make your own way across the border."

"Oh." Her mouth opened. "Thank you."

* * *

Traveling with Cameron was nothing like traveling had been with McWilliam. It could not begin to compare. When McWilliam had kidnapped her she'd spent every moment in suspense, half afraid of what would happen and half hoping something would. With Crotchety Cameron she was left to worry about returning to England and a possible prison sentence.

By the time they had reached the small Scottish town, true darkness had fallen and it was hard to see more than a few feet in front. Clouds hung low, completely curtaining any moonlight, and there were certainly no street-lamps as there were in London or Bradford.

In fact, small didn't quite do the town justice. As far as Rosa could make out it was certainly larger than the village on Uilleim Estate, but that was hardly difficult. One minute they'd been traveling along a deserted road in the middle of nowhere and the next they were standing in the middle of main street, a couple of shadowy buildings surrounding them on either side.

"This is where I leave you." Cameron took hold of her reins not bothering to dismount and leaving Rosa to scrambled down herself.

"Is there a hackney or a main coach I can hire? Who's going to take me across the border?" She wasn't even sure where the border was from here. She glanced around as if expecting to see a signpost. England 8 miles. Enemy territory; beware of red coats. Nothing.

He shrugged. "That is not my concern."

"Sir?" Rosa reached for his horse, but he kicked the steed into a trot, evading her grasping hands.

Fury washed over her and she shouted after him as he disappeared back into the darkness, "Don't you dare lay a finger on Rhona!"

She kicked at the ground, scrubbing the already scuffed toe of her hand-me-down half-boots. McWilliam would never have left her in the middle of a strange village in the middle of the night. But Crotchety Cameron wasn't McWilliam. She'd already established that. Time and time again.